Chapter Nine (pt. 2)

"What!"

After hearing the news, Zari and Enzo had both exclaimed at the same time.

"You can't be serious," said Zari, who was most animated of all. Nadia had not said a word. Instead, she had begun to stare at Spencer, who stood a little ways off, surveying the pods.

"I'm sorry, but you will have to find a replacement." Ivy took off her work-issued black watch and handed it to Enzo.

"No, I won't," said Enzo, depositing the watch into his pocket. "There were supposed to be two others anyway."

"Even better!" said Ivy, trying to sound positive. "You guys should be fine. Although, I don't know what you will do without my smarts and winning personality."

"Are you allowed to take people with you?" Zari asked. She looked around guiltily as everyone stared. "I mean, hypothetically speaking, of course. Would that be allowed?"

"The law states that only the exiled are allowed to go," said Enzo.

"I wouldn't want anyone else to come anyway. No need to lose more lives unnecessarily." Ivy looked over to Nadia, who still had not spoken. "You don't have anything to say?" she asked so only Nadia was able to hear.

"Good luck," said Nadia, who refused to make eye contact. She turned towards the pod and brushed past Spencer to start it up.

To a degree, Ivy had thought Nadia to be a friend. Not wanting to show how much her lack of emotion stung, she called Spencer to go, said her goodbyes, and left.

"You must have had the coolest job throughout the whole society. I've never seen anything as amazing as those... pods, you say? That one girl though, she bumped me and didn't even say sorry."

"Yeah, I don't know what her problem is. Just forget it. We're visiting Tima next in the Botany Unit. Do you know where that is?"

"Near where mom works? The greenhouse? I know where it is."

"Lead the way, then."

Ivy followed Spencer through The Society towards the greenhouses, all the way thinking about how simple passerby lives were. How they probably had nothing to worry about or stress over. Then she stopped—stopped thinking that way. Everyone had something wrong in their lives they wished they could fix—could control better. Nobody's life was ever completely perfect. All that mattered was how one handled situations under pressure.

"We're here," Spencer sang.

They approached three greenhouses, which glowed under the sun, letting in what the various plants needed. Walking inside the first greenhouse, both were taken aback by how unbelievably humid it was. A tall, lean man working just a few paces away stopped once he took notice of the sisters.

"Can I help you?" he asked as he walked forward.

"Man oh man," Spencer whispered.

Ivy smirked. The man was pretty attractive. "I'm looking for Tima Stane."

"Tima? She's doing some work over in the nursing home today. I'm her supervisor Noah." The man took off his gloves to reach out his hand and shake theirs. "I was just about to go over and check on her. Would you like to accompany me?"

"Yes," said Spencer, not giving any time for Ivy to reply.

"Great. If you will..." He held open the door for them to exit ahead of him. "How do you know Tima?" he asked as they made their way over to the nursing home.

"I'm her best friend."

"Oh, you must be Ivy, then."

Ivy looked up at him. "How do you know?"

"Tima talks about you all the time. And you," he said looking down at Spencer, "must be Spencer."

Spencer giggled. "You're funny." She had not taken her eyes off the man since they left, which attracted a quizzical expression from Ivy.

Noah chuckled. "Tell that to my wife. She never seems to think I'm funny."

"You must have married the wrong person, then," said Spencer, which moved Ivy to give her a little nudge and stare. "What?" the girl whispered.

"You're too young to be flirting. Stop it, won't you?" Ivy whispered back.

"We're here," said Noah, breaking up the tiny argument he had no idea was going on.

They had stopped outside the entrance of a brown, wooden house. It was the only building throughout The Society that resembled one from before The End. It had rustic features and even smelled like old times—or old-timers, to be more precise. Only Ivy and Noah were appreciative of the building's ancient characteristics, for Spencer had never experienced such sights.

"Why are we staring at the nursing home? Let's get a move on here."

The other two complied and they entered. The smell of medication and cleaning fluid with a mixture of sadness and depression hit Ivy's nostrils. A middle-aged woman with sandy brown hair and light brown eyes sat behind the front desk. She had the kind of eyes that, without having to ask, knew if something was wrong.

"Can I help you all? Oh, Noah." The woman blushed. "It's you. Tima is in the social room. Your guests will have to sign in."

The lady pointed to the clipboard, which kept in place a sheet of paper and a pen. As Ivy signed her and Spencer in, she looked up and eyed the woman's nametag. It read 'Ivy.'

"We have the same name," said Ivy as casually as she could. She had never known someone with her name.

"That's pretty funny." The lady laughed.

As they followed Noah away from the front desk, Spencer shook her head and whispered, "I didn't see how that was funny. Maybe if Noah had said it, but I just didn't see it."

Ivy sniggered. Since when had Spencer become so silly? She sure would miss her.

The room they entered next was full of both senior citizens and plants. It seemed the whole community of the elderly whom resided there occupied the social room at that time. Various plants littered the large area, many of which hung from the ceiling.

Ivy scanned the room for her best friend, and spotted her among a cluster of greenery in the far corner.