Chapter Fourteen (pt. 1)

Four young adults—they were not children anymore. That's what happens when tragic things happen too soon in unexpected ways; they throw the victim in a whirlwind and they have no choice but to emerge as something different.

The four got ready to leave for The Society, each hoping that their efforts would be enough to prevent other children from becoming young adults before their time.

"Aren't you going to tell your parents you're leaving?" Zari asked Milo after scanning a small crowd, which only consisted of Linus and Yani.

"No, they didn't make it in the end."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have—"

"Don't worry about it. Keegan's family took me in. Something about needing a wise older brother to look up to."

"You're not that much older," said Keegan.

Milo walked away laughing.

"How much older are you?" Zari asked as she followed him.

"Is that true?" Ivy asked Keegan.

"Unfortunately. I always have to remind him he's only two years older."

They gathered supplies from the kitchen and stashed them in the black backpacks. Once full, the group made their way to the grotto. Night had fallen. At the mouth of the cave, illuminated by both the moon and the reflection of the homosato bushes, stood two land creatures with homemade saddles belted to them.

Zari faltered when she saw them, making Ivy run into her. For the first time, they stood in close proximity to two animals they had been taught to fear. The brown casings of their body glistened under the moonlight.

"You don't have to come," Ivy whispered into Zari's ear.

"What, and leave you alone with my future husband? I don't think so," the girl replied, inching closer to the land creatures.

Ivy moved closer too. The soft sheen of their protective armor seemed to draw her in. Before she knew it, she was within reach. A hand closed around hers and brought it up to meet the outermost layer of the land creature. The fur felt like velvet. It was almost the same texture of the dress her grandmother had made her to wear, which she had been desperate to hide in the back of her closet on many occasions.

"Not what you imagined is it?" Keegan asked.

"Not at all."

He let go of her hand, which was able to stay on its own. Rubbing the coat made the land creature shudder, which made Ivy jump.

"Ivy," Linus called to her away from everyone else.

She strolled up to him with a smile.

"I must tell you..." He stopped to look around. The others were a few yards away, engrossed in the land creature's hidden beauty. "You need to know why I was exiled."

The smile on Ivy's face disappeared.

"I worked for Khamar Cozart when I was in The Society. I found out what he had done to your family. By taking the child, he did save its life, but at the expense of your family's heartache. I told President Khamar that if he would not tell them, I would. I believed they should know their son was still alive and well. I would have told them as long as they swore not to do anything about it. That was when I was framed and exiled."

A series of robberies had sprung up in the beginning stages of The Society. Ivy's house was the only house on their street that had not been broken into, she remembered. The looks on the faces of the victims were full of exasperation when they registered that some of the only keepsakes they were able to rescue from The End, were gone.

"I almost died out here," Linus continued. "Aimlessly walking until I discovered this cave with the strange shrubbery. Keegan's mother nursed me back to health. We were married soon after, when Keegan turned eleven and Milo was thirteen."

"So you're not Keegan's biological father?"

Linus shook his head.

"They don't know why you were exiled?"

Another shake of the head.

"Why not tell them the reason behind it all? I think it's something to be proud of."

"I would much rather their imagination run wild with the idea," said Linus, watching his sons strap the backpacks to one of the creatures. "It's not important for them to know."

"Why is it important for me to know?"

"You need to understand you aren't alone with this secret you have been forced to keep to yourself. You will never be alone, Ivy."

"We're ready," said Keegan, approaching them. He gave his father a hug. Milo did the same.

"You be careful," Linus told them. "Take care of each other."

"Yes, sir."

Ivy left them to embrace Yani.

"I'll be sure to tell Spencer you're safe."

"Thank you. Without you, I probably wouldn't be alive right now."

"Without me, you wouldn't be down here in the first place."

"And all the better for it. There was never anything left for me up there after my sister died. The only thing that kept me going were the children."

Ivy hugged the elder woman again. It was the last embrace she gave before Keegan helped her mount the land creature. It quivered from the extra weight it was not accustom to. They looked down on Linus and Yani as aristocrats would look to peasants and said goodbye for the final time, setting off into the night.