Chapter Fifteen (pt. 1)

"Does it hurt?"

The whispers of Zari and Milo reached Ivy's ears as she tried to drift off to sleep on the hard, wooden floor of Pulse Lounge. The wooly blankets and pillows Tom Tom had to offer were far from comfortable and made her itch, but they were something at least.

After everyone had been briefed and seemed to be okay with their role in the next day's play, Ivy had said goodbye to her friends and family. With less than obvious pleas from Peyton, Zari made her return home, explaining how angry their father would be if he woke with her nowhere to be found. It would be better for everyone if the new arrivals did not leave the club until it was time.

Keegan laid a few paces from Ivy, on his back. In the dark she could not tell if he was asleep or not.

"No," Ivy heard Milo whisper. "I'm pretty tough, you know."

Zari didn't contradict him.

Hearing this, Ivy knew she was not going to get any sleep. Instead, she rolled over on her side, her back to Keegan. Soon, the whispers grew sparse then came to a complete stop. Steady snores, no doubt emerging from Zari, filled the room.

"I'm sorry," Keegan's voice behind Ivy whispered. "For what I said earlier."

Her body went rigid. He seemed to have moved closer.

"You don't have to apologize," she said. "My fault for sharing something so personal with someone I barely know, right?" She could feel his breath on her back, but she willed herself not to turn around.

"It's just... I like you, I think. I don't know."

Her body grew rigid still, as if one tap could shatter her frame and she would be lost forever.

"What do you know?" She didn't wait for him to respond before saying, "I don't. Like you."

Ivy held her breath as her words echoed throughout the room and disappeared. Eventually, she heard him roll back to his original position a few feet away.

"I understand," was the last thing he said.