Chapter Fifteen (pt. 7)

Terri

Unaffected by recent events, Terri still had the feeling he must get involved. It called out to him at all times during the day that he should be a part of this. This was bigger than himself and he could almost see that. The announcement came while he was at his desk. Since Alex's death, he had no other patients to look after. Day after day passed him by without acknowledging his presence.

Today, though, was different. He had a purpose. After the announcement ended he got up to walk to the morgue. The man at the desk, unfortunately, was not a friend. One would say, in fact, he was a foe.

Terri cleared his throat and smoothed his hair before speaking. The man at the desk, in his early thirties and already showing signs of gray, looked up and sighed.

"What do you want, Terri?"

"I just need to look up some files just beyond that door," said Terri, pointing behind the man.

"And what makes you think I would ever give you what you want?"

Terri bit his lip in thought, trying to come up with something—and fast. "Does your wife know about us?" he asked with a smirk.

"What?"

"Because if she did, that would be quite funny."

"What do you mean?" The man's face grew red.

"You know what I mean." Terri stared straight into the man's eyes and winked.

"You have three minutes."

"Five."

"Fine."

Straightening up, Terri gave the man a pat on the head before entering the room. He turned on the light and was faced with rows upon rows of green filing cabinets.

"Where to start," he said under his breath.

He passed the first cabinet with the label 'A.' Figuring it was alphabetical, he hurried to the 'T's.' Terri slid open the cabinet, which resulted in a crash that echoed throughout the room. The files inside fluttered violently.

Among the 'T' last names, there were two Alex Turner files within. Terri squinted in the windowless room under the dim lighting. He did not know Alex's middle name, so he read both. The first read 'Alex K. Turner,' his race, sex, age, address, and occupation. This Alex was Asian and had worked as a baker some years ago.

Not the Alex he was looking for. The second file read 'Alex T. Turner' and had the same categories as the last. Next was cause of death. Terri's eyes widened as his hand covered his mouth to stifle a gasp.