Chapter Eleven (pt. 2)

"Look!" someone within the masses shouted.

In the distance, another figure dressed in red was approaching. The horde of people split down the middle to make room for Yani. She walked with her head up and eyes low and she made her way to stand next to Ivy.

"Yani, I'm so sorry! I had no idea," said Ivy.

"Oh, baby, I saw it coming a mile away," Yani replied. "It was all a matter of time."

"No!" Spencer shouted. She ran up to give her old teacher a hug. "It's all my fault, Ms. Yani. I'm sorry."

Yani held Spencer away to squat to her eye level. "You have nothing to be sorry about, sweetheart. Don't ever say that. Everything happens for a reason."

Spencer looked up at both Yani and Ivy before she returned to stand with her parents.

"Everyone, please make way for your President, Khamar Cozart, and his son K.J., as they come forward," Topher announced into the microphone.

The swarm separated themselves for their President and his son. President Khamar walked with a smile and his nose in the air while K.J. followed close behind.

"I wasn't expecting this much of a turnout," said President Khamar after he took the stand. "As you may or may not know, we have gathered here today to exile two lawbreakers. One Ivy Stone, for the crime of breach of contract, and one Yani Foster charged with harboring illegal colors. Both knew that by breaking the law they would be subject to exile, and chose to break the law anyway. Today they will be sent down to Earth to live out the rest of their lives without the hope of return." President Khamar then turned to eye the two outlaws. "May God be with you. Perhaps in your next life you will be able to follow the rules."

"How dare you," a voice from the crowd shouted. The people surrounding the source moved away as everyone stared. "Why don't you tell everyone here the truth," said Zari. She stepped forward with her younger sister.

"I don't know what you are talking about," said President Khamar with a nervous laugh.

"Oh, sure you do, Mr. President." Zari was now in front of the populace, looking out at everyone. "The air creatures are the dangerous ones! When they fly over The Society they are giving us a warning! Go on, tell them about the dead people you dump to Earth like trash!"

"That is enough!" President Khamar roared. "Arrest her!"

A swarm of officials tore Zari away from her sister and made her stand next to Yani and Ivy.

"We now have three people being exiled this morning," said President Khamar as he wiped sweat from his brow.

Angry cries erupted from the army of people. "It must be true if you're exiling her," one man yelled.

"No, distortion is a crime punishable by banishment. I don't make the rules, I just follow them."

"You have the power to change them!" someone shouted.

"There's no sense in losing lives over something trivial," yelled another.

"If you all do not quiet down you will be escorted away by one of the officials," said President Khamar.

It was enough of a threat to reduce the shouts to angry whispers.

"Now, as I said before, these criminals knew the risk before committing these crimes. They will have a few minutes to say their final goodbyes."

Zari's little sister ran to her. "Don't worry about me," said Zari holding her close.

Nico Chambers walked up to Yani as Tima and her family joined Ivy.

"You be safe down there," said Mr. and Mrs. Stane in unison.

Ivy nodded as she embraced Tima. "I will."

"I figured out what was different about those plants," Tima whispered into her ear. "They're laced with a chemical that attacks weaker immune systems."

"You have to get them out of there as soon as possible," Ivy whispered back.

The two let go of each other. "Already working on it."

The Stone family was next on the list of farewells.

"This isn't right," said Mr. Stone, shaking his head. "You aren't going."

"Dad, you have to let me go or they'll send you all down with me. Think of Spencer and mom." She gave her father the tightest embrace she had ever given him in her life. "Keep them safe."

"You be safe," said Mr. Stone. "Stay alive."

"Is it true what that girl said?" Spencer asked.

"I can't say," said Ivy. She bent down so that only Spencer would be able to hear what she had to say. "Everything you've heard these last couple of days, keep it to yourself. Promise me you will."

"I promise."

"Good, and go to Tima for whatever you can't tell mom and dad. She'll be your second sister."

Spencer nodded and Ivy rose to meet her mother's eyes. "There's something I've always wanted to ask you," she whispered.

"Ask. Ask me anything."

"What would you have named him? My brother."

Tears filled Mrs. Stone's eyes. "We would have named him Spencer. And Spencer would've been named Maple. After Maple Price."

"I'm sorry you lost your son," Ivy whispered, touching her forehead to her mother's. "I'm sorry I wasn't careful enough and now you're losing me too.

Mrs. Stone clutched the sides of her daughter's face and kissed her forehead. "You will always be with me."

Ivy's family was then ushered back into the crowd and she stood alone with Yani and Zari once again.

"Now that you all have said your goodbyes, please board the pod where the head of the Exploration Unit, Enzo Tate, will take you down," President Khamar announced into the microphone.

The three complied and boarded the idle pod one by one as Enzo took the commander's seat.

"You're sending them down there with nothing?" Mr. Stone shouted. "She's only seventeen!"

President Khamar looked hurt. "Of course not. They have each other."

This infuriated Mr. Stone even further.

"I'll be fine, dad," Ivy yelled from her seat. "Remember what I told you."

The President turned to march towards the pod. "What did you tell him?" he whispered. His words hung in the air like daggers.

"Nothing," said Ivy. "Just know you haven't seen the last of me. And keep your hands off of my brother." She stared straight into his eyes.

Backing further away from the pod while straightening his tie, President Khamar said, "Why should I? After all, he isn't really my son."

Enzo started the pod and as it whirred to life, Ivy took one last look at her family and all the people she loved. She gave her last winning smile before her stomach lurched into her throat and she descended to Earth.