Chapter Seven (pt. 3)

Remembering her mother had asked her that morning to walk Spencer back from school, she left the Number Seventeen house without another word. She arrived at the elementary school a little early. Entering through the side door that remained unlocked, similar to the one at the high school, she decided to visit Yani.

There was no one to be found in the plain room when she entered, the only sound came from the boom box in the corner, which emitted Yani's recorded voice to whoever was listening. Ivy made her way over to the colorful room.

Yani turned around in surprise when she heard the door open. "Ivy. Goodness, you scared me half to death. I thought you were an official."

The children observed Ivy before returning to what they had been doing before the disturbance. 

"I have to walk Spencer home today and have time to kill before she's released." Although she had been in the colorful room several times before, the place was still pleasing to the eye. "How did you get the forbidden colors past security?"

"There are some government officials out there that are nice and understanding, believe it or not. The one I met said something about some sort of chute under The Society that could move things both up and down. All Teresa and I had to do was put the things we wanted to smuggle right under it, before we ascended. It came right up into the Sanitation Unit, where we kept it until we finished the room. Then we moved everything here one weekend night."

"Brilliant," said Ivy, mostly to herself.

"How's that new job of yours going? Learning a lot?"

"More than you could imagine."

"That's great. I'm happy for you." Yani looked down at her watch. "You know, elementary should be released in a few minutes. It was great seeing you."

Ivy reached out to give Yani a hug. "Same here." She was happy to have made a friend of someone older, with more experience in the game of life.

Ivy made her way back towards the door, but not before stopping to talk to Nico, who had been watching her since she had arrived. He had gotten a haircut, which Ivy thought took away from his character. She bent down to speak with him.

"You were right," she said, "I have no doubt in my mind you will be someone great one day."

Nico nodded, unsmiling as Ivy rose and made her way out of the room towards the entrance of the elementary school. She spotted Spencer in the sea of children, just as the steel gates were rising. "Spencer!" Ivy called out ahead of her.

Spencer took one look at Ivy and walked out of the building without a word. It did not take long for Ivy to catch up with her.

"Go away, Ivy. I don't need anyone to walk me home anymore."

"Spence, I'm sorry."

"No you're not. You're just like all the other grown-ups. You think you know everything about everything, but it's all a lie—you only know a little."

Ivy did not know what else to say so she followed the seven-year-old back home in silence. When they arrived, Spencer stormed into the house and went straight to her room, while Ivy shuffled through the door with tired feet. 

"Ivy, there's someone here for you," said Mr. Stone, walking towards her from the living room. "Don't do anything stupid," he added in a whisper, leading her back to where he had come.

She walked towards the living room and was almost compelled to run in the opposite direction when she laid eyes on Principal Moore sitting in a tan chair on the opposite side of the brown coffee table in the middle of the room.

"I'll give you two some privacy," Mr. Stone said, giving a hard look to Ivy as he retreated to his office down the hall. She wanted to plead for him to stay. The last thing Ivy wanted was to be left alone with her old principal.

"Have a seat, Ivy," he said gesturing to the identical chair across from him.

Ivy sat down hesitantly. It was not a good feeling to be uncomfortable in one's own home. She was transported back in time to her sophomore year of high school, sitting across from Principal Moore in his musty office. The shiny metallic name plaque that almost always blinded her the many times she had been called into his office, came rushing forward in her memory.

"When are you going to learn, Miss Stone?" he had said, wiping sweat from his pale, hairless head. "You are very lucky this little trick you pulled has not landed you into exile. Don't ask me why it didn't, because even I don't understand."

"What if I want to be exiled?" Ivy had seethed. "It would be hell of a lot better than being here. I'm sure you would agree."

"I would not agree, Miss Stone, and if you really would like to be exiled, I could make that happen."

This last threat had hit home. 

"If you do not change this attitude of yours, there is not much else anyone can do. Who knows why you hate life so much. I wonder if you yourself even know."

Ivy had said nothing.

"No more fighting, getting into arguments with teachers, and, Ivy," he had said as he held her eye, "no more spreading rumors that I am out to kill you and the rest of The Society, are we clear?"

"Crystal."

"You are dismissed. Return to class."

Ivy had walked away finally getting the message. She could no longer be the tyrant she had been for so long. She had to change.

"Do you know just how small we are in this universe, Ivy?" Principal Moore asked, bringing Ivy back to the present.

Ivy shook her head. 

"Allow me to enlighten you for a moment. We are in Earth's atmosphere, not exactly on Earth, but in Earth. The planet is a part of the solar system, and the solar system makes up the galaxy. The galaxy we are in is but one among at least one hundred billion other galaxies that hold countless other suns and worlds. These galaxies make up the universe in which we live. This observable universe is but one universe a part of a system of innumerable other universes.

"I want you to be aware of just how small we are. Not to frighten you in any way, but to open your eyes to all the possibilities that are out there. We may be small, but with the life we are given, we can make a difference."

"Wow," was all Ivy was able to muster.

Principal Moore shifted forward in his seat. "I'm about to tell you something I know I shouldn't. I have already put the past behind me, and you should do the same. Do you remember how many times you had gotten yourself into trouble throughout your education?"

Ivy nodded.

"I don't think I have to elaborate on how baffled I was that you somehow came out without so much as a scratch on your record. I am here to tell you how much danger you are in, Ivy."

"What do you mean?"

"Something wasn't right about it, and when something isn't right⎯be on guard, Ivy. Expect the unexpected, and most of all, be careful of whom you call 'friend'."

Principal Moore then stood, ready to leave.

"You haven't really told me anything," said Ivy, standing with Principal Moore. She was tired of not getting explanations or answers to the questions burning the lining of her heart.

He smiled, which took Ivy by surprise. 

"By the way, we never had this conversation. You were always my favorite student. You remind me of myself at your age. If only I had kept a record of myself back then," he said with a twinkle in his eye. "The answers to your questions lie in the most unlikely of places," he finished, leaving Ivy alone in the living room as he let himself out of the house.

Mr. Stone entered a few minutes later. "What was that about?"

Ivy turned to her dad, trying to decide whether or not to tell him everything that was going on—about everything straining her psyche.

"Nothing."