Chapter Ten (pt. 3)

Ivy stopped short of opening her front door. For some reason, she could not stop tearing up. It wasn't only the thought of losing Alex, such a brand new friend, that was bringing her to tears, but all the people in her life she was losing, who would be lost forever. It was finally hitting her.

Just after wiping her last runaway tear, Spencer opened the door. Instead of letting Ivy in, she pushed her further away from the house and let the door close behind them.

"I was looking for the paper I had written Noah's plant instructions on, and found this."

Without hesitation, Spencer brandished a slim piece of paper that looked like it had been torn from a larger piece. She handed it over to Ivy, who opened it:

MEET AT THE WILLOW TREE

1 AM SUNDAY MORNING.

I WILL EXPLAIN.

"Where did you find this?"

"It was in the pocket of the pants I wore yesterday. At first I thought it was a message from Noah, and was about to tell mom she might have been right about him. Then I thought of you."

"Spencer, I need you to really think for a minute. How could this have gotten into your pocket without you knowing?"

The girl stood with one hand pulling at her eyebrows and the other arm underneath supporting the weight. As Spencer thought, Ivy stared.

"Could it have been that mean girl that bumped into me without saying sorry?" she finally said.

Ivy's eyes widened. "Yes, it could have. That makes sense."

"She must be really smooth, then, because I didn't feel a thing. Where do you think she learned something like that? Definitely not from here. All we learn in school is pointless stuff. Like, when would I ever need to know how to multiply stuff?"

"It might come in handy one day," said Ivy. Everything was starting to make sense and she couldn't help but smile.

"What are you smiling about? This better not be some plan you made so you could sneak off to meet a boy!"

"What? I wouldn't do that."

"Are you going to go?"

"Yes, of course I am. This is really import—"

"I'm coming too."

"You can't. It might be dangerous."

Spencer crossed her arms across her chest.

Ivy rolled her eyes. "Fine, but not a word to anyone else, okay?"

"No problem." Spencer retreated to the house, leaving the door open for Ivy.

Still clutching the note, Ivy entered to the smell of steak, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli—her favorite meal.

"Are you ready to eat?" Mrs. Stone asked Ivy as she sat at the table.

"Do you really have to ask?"

Mrs. Stone stopped what she was doing to sit across from Ivy. "About tomorrow," she started.

"I know. I'm going to miss you too."

"No, not about that. It's Father's Day tomorrow, not to mention your sister's birthday. What are you giving them?"

"Oh," said Ivy, "I totally forgot about that. I've been so worried about...you know, the other thing."

"Right! Of course you have been, sweetie." Mrs. Stone brought her hand up to brush stray hairs out of her daughter's face. "I love you so much, Ivy. You know that, don't you?"

"Yes." Ivy got up to give her mother a hug. Her reality was becoming even more real. "I love you too, mom."

Their warm embrace was interrupted as both Spencer and Mr. Stone entered the kitchen.

"It's a party now!" said Spencer, taking her seat.

Mrs. Stone brought over the food once everyone was seated. It was so delicious that Ivy found herself wishing there was more, or at least more time for which she could have such things for dinner. They laughed and joked together wholeheartedly.

"Tomorrow is a very big day so I think we should all get some rest," said Mr. Stone after the table was cleared.

Everyone stole glances at Ivy.

"I agree." Ivy rose from the table. "After seventeen years under your rule, I must say, it was an honor being your daughter. Goodnight."

Withdrawing to her room, she heard the crash of dishes and a few choice words.

A few minutes later, Spencer entered.

"You okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Ivy asked, lying down with her hands behind her head.

"You're not being very nice to mom and dad."

"Spencer, it doesn't matter. Nothing matters anymore."

"If you believed that, you wouldn't be going to meet that person." Spencer was on the verge of tears. "Can't you see you're hurting them even more?"

"Come here." Ivy motioned for her sister to lie beside her.

"Are you scared?" Spencer asked.

"Yes."

"Me too."