Chapter One (pt. 2)

Still on the floor, thinking not only how she had almost killed herself, but also how willing she had been to take the risk than to be late, a shadow fell over her.

"Miss Stone. Would you be so kind as to get off of the floor? You aren't at home, after all." The raspy, cool voice belonged to Principal Moore, Ivy's least favorite person in the establishment.

"But—" Ivy started to explain.

"But nothing, Miss Stone. You are expected to act like a human, not some creature of the ground."

Ivy's fists clenched, but she would not give Moore the satisfaction of seeing his words get to her. She peeled herself off of the floor to stand and look him in the eye. "I am not a creature." Even she was a little shocked by the force behind her words.

"Well, I certainly hope not," he retorted, turning his back to leave. "Fortunately for me, I won't have to see you around much longer."

Ivy stood alone, mulling over his last words. Did he have something sinister planned for her? She did not have much time to dwell. Blinded by the bright, white walls of the empty school hallways, she made her way towards homeroom.

She slid into her seat just as the bell rang.

"Where have you been?" Tima asked, interrupting Ivy's thoughts. Tima Stane had been Ivy's best friend ever since they had both been thrust into a different way of life and forced to find new friends.

"Got stopped by Moore on the way in," Ivy explained. She did not feel like relaying her near-death experience to Tima.

"Oh man." Tima laughed. "What a great way to start your morning." She leaned in closer, and lowered her voice to a whisper. "But guess who said 'Hi' to me this morning."

"Who?"

"J.J."

"What did you say back?"

"Nothing." Tima bowed her head in shame. "I didn't know what to say."

Principal Moore's voice boomed through the loudspeaker, breaking up their conversation. "Attention, seniors. You will all be dismissed after homeroom for a special ceremony."

"What do you think it's for?" Tima asked as the crackle of the announcement ended. The whole homeroom full of seniors started to whisper in excitement to each other.

"I've heard some rumors that we might be getting our assignments." In that moment, Ivy realized this was what Principal Moore meant when he had said he would not have to see her around for much longer. And here she thought he was going to find a way to get her cast off the edge of The Society.

"That would be amazing! I hope they place me in the Botany Unit. Where do you want to be? Wait, never mind, I already know. Exploration Unit, right? Well I think you'd be good at that, you've always liked the outdoors; they've probably noticed, too."

Talkative Tima. She talked way too fast and never let anyone else get a word in. This was one of the many reasons they were best friends. Sometimes Ivy would rather be quiet, so she let Tima fill the silence.

The bell rang, indicating homeroom was over, and everyone spilled out into the hallways. Enduring envious glares from the underclassmen, the seniors filed out of the side door, which was the only one that did not seal shut during school hours. The school did have some sort of evacuation plan in the event of an emergency. However, the escape route was closely monitored in case a student decided they would rather be outside than go to class. Across the artificial green lawn was another building—mainly used as a gym, but, sometimes, special ceremonies were held there.