Chapter Ten (pt. 6)

"Okay. You had just started walking, and I begged mom to let me take you outside to play. She was extremely busy so she said it was all right without even really thinking about it. Because you were somewhat unstable, I had to stay close so you wouldn't fall.

"Anyway, we had been out there for about twenty minutes when the siren rang. It was the first time I had ever heard it sound, but I knew what it meant. I was about to pick you up and run inside, but it was too late. An air creature swooped down and snatched you up, right in front of me. I was terrified. I screamed my head off as you were carried off into the distance.

"It took you to its nest and dropped you in there. Its hungry babies surrounded you, but you didn't cry at all. Matter of fact, you laughed. You laughed so much, the air creature got annoyed. Do you know what happened next?"

Silence. Spencer had fallen asleep.

"It brought you back to me."

Ivy found herself in tears at the thought of Spencer being all alone. Instead of wiping the evidence of her heartache, she pulled out the letter Nadia had given her. She opened it to reveal Nadia's small, messy handwriting:

Ivy,

Destroy this letter once you read it. I have been the one watching you under President Khamar's orders. I was traded for something in order to come here. President Khamar wanted me, and for exchange of something (I do not know what), the leaders where I am from agreed to do it.

At first I was happy to be of service—happy to be a part of something my people obviously believed was important.

I couldn't be enrolled into the school because I wasn't supposed to be there. Where I am from, I am celebrated for how well I am able to go unnoticed. I was in every class you had this past year, including homeroom. I gathered information on you for President Khamar, who made you out to be some sort of troublemaker who had to be monitored. That was his answer whenever I asked why I had come all this way to spy on a seventeen-year-old girl. Just a few weeks ago, things got worse. A few days after the placement ceremony, Mrs. Cozart died. President Khamar does not know this, but I took to gathering information on him as well.

Before she died, they had been arguing. She had just found out that K.J. had been taken from your parents, when she had previously believed he was an abandoned baby; saved from The End. She wanted to tell your parents that their son was still alive and well. President Khamar couldn't let that happen. He said it was something they had to live with. He believed if your parents knew the truth, they would try to take K.J. back. If that happened, it would bring about the downfall of The Society.

I cannot say if she died of natural or unnatural causes, just like I can't tell you where I am from. I am bound. There are advanced technologies in this society that even you could not imagine.

After his wife's death, President Khamar gave me an order. He wanted me to push Alex Turner over the edge of the pod so you would be able to get the job; so I could keep a closer eye on you and maybe even befriend you. This was when I knew he had lost it. I begged to go back to my people. I was sure they would be able to return whatever it was I was traded for. President Khamar became aggressive. I had to carry it out.

So you see, you must go to my people. You are The Society's only hope for a better future. President Khamar is planning something big. He must be stopped. They may know what to do.

Some other things you should know:

1. President Khamar has taken to abusing K.J.

2. After extensive investigation, I cannot determine whether or not Enzo is good or bad.

Keep all of this in mind, Ivy. Good luck.

Ivy folded up the letter and held it against her chest. She didn't know what to think. She wanted to punch something and cry at the same time. Why was there so much wrong in the world? Or in The Society, she should say.

This would be her last night sleeping in the comfort of her bed and the protection of her home. Nothing would ever be the same. She accepted it.