Chapter Four (pt. 2)

Spencer's stirring in her sleep awoke Ivy the next morning. She got out of bed, trying her best not to wake her sister who resembled an angel when she slept—sweat and all. She got ready in the dark, as the sun had not yet come up.

"You're up early," said Ivy to Mr. Stone who was already seated at the kitchen table when she entered.

"I'm just as excited as you are, believe it or not."

"I'm nervous," Ivy admitted, sitting across from him. She picked a green apple from the bowl of fruit at the center of the table, and started to take small bites.

"Being nervous isn't a bad thing," he said. "If anything, I think it makes us do better."

"Thanks for the pep talk, dad." Despite her father's efforts, Ivy somehow felt worse than she had previously. "Do you know where I'm supposed to go to meet them?"

"In The Square."

"Wish me luck," she said, getting up to leave.

Most people slept in on Sunday mornings, so Ivy was not surprised when she walked out to find the pathways empty. She made her way to The Square with nothing on her mind but the thought of being a part of the Exploration Unit—a part of something that could make a difference in the world—or more accurately—The Society.

She was the only one in The Square when she arrived, so she sat on the soft grass and waited for someone to show up. She had been too excited and nervous for tryouts that she had forgotten to find out what time they were going to be held. Ivy shook her head at her own foolishness. All she knew was that they were to be held in the morning.

"You're here early."

Ivy twisted around to see Nadia striding towards her. She wore black work clothes, which were supposed to be illegal. Black clothes were only used as nightclothes.

"I forgot to ask what time we were supposed to meet."

"Lucky you guessed the right time, then."

The tense muscles Ivy was unaware she had been holding throughout her body, released. Maybe she would have more luck throughout the rest of the day.

"Are we going to be trying out in the middle of The Square?" Ivy looked around. The sun was starting to rise, warming the air and illuminating the sky a vibrant yellow. The air smelled fresh, like the atmosphere had just woken up from a long slumber and had run through a sprinkler. She could smell moisture in the air.

"No, we're just meeting here."

"Well, well, well," said an approaching voice.

Ivy rose, brushed her butt of bits of artificial grass, and turned around to face Zari Sororno.

"How did I know you would be coming out for a spot as well, Ivy?" Zari asked. "Why would you want to be the one to replace your boyfriend? That's a bit weird, if you ask me. Did you two plan this so you would have a chance at a better job?"

Anger swelled up in the pit of Ivy's stomach as she racked her brain for a comeback.

"Hello, Zari." Nadia tried to diffuse the situation brewing between the other two girls, looking every bit of annoyed as Ivy felt. "I didn't expect you to be here."

Zari did not seem to have noticed Nadia's presence. "Yes, well," she said, pulling her shoulders back and flinging her red hair. "You don't get out much, do you? If you did, you would have heard I was going to try out. I'm sure it's all everyone has been talking about." Zari smiled a half-crooked, fake kind of smile directed towards Nadia.

The three of them stood in silence for the next few minutes. Pretty soon, another candidate showed up. He introduced himself as Ronaldo Stross. There was only one thing that stood out about him: his height. Not short enough to be considered a midget, but at the same time, not tall enough to be considered a normal height for someone his age. She could not be sure, but the way he elevated his neck gave Ivy the impression of a turtle trying to come out its shell. She vaguely remembered seeing him in the hallways at school.