Chapter Sixteen (pt. 3)

Zari

The End was bad for two reasons. First, it was the end of the world—horrible in itself. Second, it took away her mother and left her with an unstable father and newborn baby sister. The first time he hit her, she did not cry. She had run out of tears long before that. There was no one to which she could express the anger and hurt she felt. Bottled up like a champagne bottle; with a little turbulence, she would explode. Hard to make friends with that kind of baggage, she spent most of her time alone. A mask was what she wore—only giving it a moments rest at home.

Her father had not gone to her placement ceremony so she had sulked home alone, unsatisfied with her results. When a new opportunity presented itself, she snatched it. Ivy had never been a threat, but Zari had to make her believe she was. Push doubt into someone's mind and it can eat away at them. Ivy was the only one that knew of her personal issue. Somehow, she knew Ivy would never tell. It was one of those secrets that bond people for life. There was one thing to do. Only one life she had, she was not going to wait around for it to get better. She was going to act.

Peyton had understood. A new start would be rewarding. Zari would find something to live for. It was more than what she had expected to find, however. Someone to live for was even better. Milo was her soul mate, whether he knew it or not. If it was a diversion Ivy wanted, it was what she was going to get. If it had not been for Ivy's massive screw-up, she would have never met Milo. Zari owed her a piece of her life—only a piece. She just had to run until all could hear Tima.