Chapter Nine (pt. 3)

"I'll give you two a moment," said Noah with a nod of his head. "Would you mind helping me water some plants, Spencer?"

"Yes."

As the pair walked off, Ivy made her way towards Tima, careful not to bump into the elderly that packed the room.

"What's cookin', good lookin'?"

Tima whirled around with a smile. "What are you doing here?"

"I felt like I hadn't seen you in ages," said Ivy. "Plus, I have news."

"But first, look at this..."

Ivy looked to where Tima was pointing to a deep green plant behind her that overflowed the pot that held it captive.

"Have you ever seen green ivy?"

"No, I don't believe I have."

Ivy bent down to get a closer look. Upon closer examination, she was able to behold how large the leaves were and what seemed to be the plants' veins, which were a lighter green than the leaves themselves.

"How could I have not seen this from before The End?"

"Don't ask me," said Tima. "I've seen them before, but they're different somehow. I don't know what it is yet, but I'm working on it."

"When you find out tell me, okay?"

"No problem. What was it you had to tell me?"

Ivy froze. How should she phrase this?

"Well, you have until Sunday to figure out what's wrong with these plants," she started. Her tongue grew thick and heavy with suspense.

"Why?"

"Because that's the last time you'll see me."

Tima's eyes widened. "Why?" she asked, slow and deliberate.

"Because I'm being exiled." Ivy closed her eyes and tensed up, waiting for an explosion of emotion. What met her instead was silence. She squinted between her eyes to peek at Tima, whose mouth was now open.

"What happened?" Tima asked quietly.

Ivy looked around the plant-filled room for an answer. Finding none, she met Tima's eyes once more. "I don't think I can say. I don't want to make it worse."

"But I'm your best friend. You know I would never tell anyone."

Ivy shook her head. "He threatened to exile my whole family, Tima. I can't risk them."

"Who threatened?" Tima leaned closer as her eyes grew to the size of dinner plates. "The President?"

Without a word from Ivy, Tima had her answer.

"But you'll—"

"Die?" Ivy finished for her. She looked to the ground and shrugged. "I'm dealing with it."

Tima nodded as tears spilled down her cheeks. They embraced, wrapping their hearts around each other's pain in an attempt to ease it.

"I think Noah will let me have the rest of today and tomorrow off—"

"No. Stay and finish your work. For me."

Tima was silent.

"Plus," Ivy added, "I think Noah is a little preoccupied at the moment."

Their eyes shifted through the slew of old to the other side of the room where Noah was explaining something to Spencer, which the girl seemed wholly interested in, for she was staring unblinkingly into his eyes.

"Ah, yes. Young girls do seem to take a liking to him." Tima gave a weak laugh.

"Which reminds me," said Ivy, giving Tima a small nudge. "How's J.J.?"

Tima smiled. "We've been seeing each other a lot lately. I really like him. I can't even really describe it—the way he makes me feel."

Ivy nodded. She wished she could tell Tima she understood, but she didn't. She wondered if she would ever get the chance to feel that way about someone. They made their way over towards Spencer and Noah who, even after their arrival, did not notice their presence.