Chapter 6 Mysterious Messenger

I took a long, relaxing shower and walked out to my room from the adjoining bathroom, the steam following me out like a warm ghost. I left my curtains open before I had gone to shower, thinking that because I lived by the woods no one would see me naked in my towel. I grabbed an over sized t-shirt from my dresser drawer and a sports bra. I pulled on underwear and my sports bra quickly, ready to lay down and relax.

A quiet tap sounded from my window, still slightly fogged up from the warm shower steam; if it weren't for my heightened hearing I probably wouldn't have heard it. I turn and to look out my bedroom window, and find a pair of yellow eyes staring back at me. I scream and pull on my shirt before looking harder at the creature, taking a step towards the window, only to find it had only been two lightning bugs flying closely together outside the forest before me. I sighed, suddenly stressed all over again, and I walked to my window slowly. Looking outside in amazement as lightning bugs quietly flashed and buzzed outside the window, I smiled to myself, grateful for the beauty of the world around me.

The rain finally had stopped and I ran outside, barefoot and in my pajamas; not that I cared about getting a little wet again. I giggled as lightning bugs surged around me and I tried to catch a few. I eventually laid in the wet grass, slightly out of breath, and smiled as lightning bugs flew around, illuminating the night like small stars. I yawned and rubbed my eyes, quietly urging myself to stay awake. Behind me, I could hear what sounded like a large animal coming out of the woods. I turned my head, cautiously waiting to shift for a fight, and find the black alpha wolf from last night approaching me.

 He silently laid down next to me, warmth radiating from his large body, and I stopped shivering. I hadn't noticed how chilly I had been, or that I had begun shivering. I must have been too preoccupied staring at the lightning bugs to have noticed how cold my feet and hands were. I laid there quietly and slowly curled up closer to the wolf and his warmth before falling asleep. The last thing I remember was feeling the large wolf behind me sigh against my hair as I closed my heavy eyes.

I woke up the next morning in my bedroom, tucked into my sheets, and I stretched looking around, "strange," I murmured to myself, "I don't remember how I got back inside."

Maybe I had simply woken up and walked inside and I just don't remember doing so, I tried to reason with myself.

I headed into the silent kitchen and ate my cereal for breakfast slowly, as I thought about the night before. Why did the black wolf come back? How did he remember where I lived? How could he have known I was outside in the yard?

I suddenly realized,"the only way he could've known how to get here and that I'd be out, is because he comes here all the time." I murmured to myself.

Did I have a stalker? Suddenly my phone went off, a high pitched humming coming from my bag, and I pulled it out to see I had gotten a text and three missed calls. Strange. Who would have wanted to text me? I opened the text and noticed it was from an unknown number.

The text read, hey beautiful, I'm going to take you to school today so be ready by 7 ;).

I dropped my phone onto the floor and ran to my room, locking my door behind me. Who was that?! How did they get my phone number?! If it had been Rowan she would have made sure I knew it was her before texting me. My parents didn't change numbers without reason, and they definitely didn't need to take me to school. The only person who had recently called me beautiful was Sergio but, I never gave him my number.

I closed my windows and locked the door, "I am not going to school with a psychopath waiting for me" I said and laid in my bed.

I need a sick day anyway, I thought to myself as stood from my bed. I knew I may have been way overreacting to the strange text, but I found it quite terrifying considering I didn't give out my phone number to just anyone and I hadn't given it to anyone recently. I opened the door to my closet and got out some comfy clothes, sweats and a cotton t-shirt with a band on it, and walk over to my bathroom.

My bathroom was a decent size, with dark cherry wood cabinets and a white marble sink. My shower had a gray, marble outlining, a glass sliding door, dark marble walls and flooring, and plenty of moving about space. After all the visitors I had been getting, I decided to change my clothes behind closed doors, just in case, and after a few minutes I finally decided to be brave and leave the safety of my bathroom.

 I looked around upstairs and after I had also searched for an intruder downstairs I decided the house was empty and quiet, just as I had left it. I picked my phone up from the table where my cereal sat, now soggy and sad looking, and smile, noticing it hadn't cracked at all. I opened the text again and stared at it for a while, rereading the line over and over, trying to think of who the possible suspects were. I bit my lip nervously and turned off the bright screen on my phone. 

Who was this guy? Was it even a guy? At this point, I had considered Rowan had simply gotten a new number and forgot to tell me. Yet, I reasoned with myself, if she had she still wouldn't be offering to pick me up for school. Usually I had to pick her up from her parent's house when she didn't have a ride. If it wasn't Rowan, who had it been?