Chapter 18 part 1 Shopping

After my little talk with Payton, I left his room with a small, nervous smile. I made my way through the maze of a pack house and found my bedroom after a little while of wandering. Emily met me outside my room after I changed into better clothes, ones that weren't stained from being thrown to the ground. She smiled and we chatted for a little bit as she led me to the garage outside the pack house. Inside the garage was an arsenal of large black SUVs and black mustangs. A large smile spread across my lips; I love cars. I suddenly felt a pang of sadness, as I realized I missed my black camero. Emily smiled warmly at me as she steered us toward one of the SUVs. I pouted, after practically drooling at one of the mustangs as we had walked over to the SUV.

"Hey, cheer up. SUVs hold more clothes," she quipped as she hoped up into the large vehicle.

I sighed, wishing to drive, and stared longingly at the dark, beautiful mustang next to us. I finally climbed up into the SUV and buckled up in the passenger seat. Emily gave an excited giggle as the car roared to life, and she turned up the radio before pulling out of the garage. Emily drove us through the woods for a while before a city loomed in front of us. We stopped at a red light and I took the time to look around at all the tall, stone buildings and all the humans that walked through the stores and along the sidewalks. When the light turned green Emily drove us further through the city to the large mall downtown. As we parked near the front of the building, I got a sudden rush of excitement. I hadn't been shopping in forever, probably not since I was seven and my mother would take me to the mall for school clothes every summer. I went with my mom to the mall near our pack territory in the warm summer to buy me some outfits for school. We went inside and when we came back out with several heavy bags of clothes. It wasn't until we'd made it all the way back home that my mother found out her little girl accidentally stole some rings.

I shook the thoughts from my mind and walked with Emily into the large building. The air inside the mall whipped our hair away from our faces as we entered through the sliding glass doors. She smiled brighter as a young brunette bounced bubbly up to us. She'd been seated at a fountain right in front of the doors, looking down at her phone until we walked into the mall. Her smile was contagious, and I soon found myself more at ease around her. She was around my height and had long, beautiful brown hair. She had bright green eyes and a lingering blush on her tan skin. She wore a pink t-shirt and yoga pants, and she carried a bag of what looked to be perfumes in her hand.

"Hi there! I'm Natalie," said the girl as she smiled and flicked her hair out of her face.

"Um hey. I'm katherine." I said slowly.

She hugged me tightly in a vanilla-smelling embrace. I quickly couldn't breathe, and I patted her pack trying to get her to let go. She finally released me from her grip and I coughed. She laughed and led Emily and I through every girly store in the entire mall. According to Emily, Natalie was a girl from our pack that wanted to meet the new pack member; she played the violin and loved kids. I was surprised someone so bubbly could play such a beautiful instrument with precision. Yet it seemed so right; I could imagine an instrument resting on her level shoulders.

We found my dress in one of the first stores we went into in the clearance section. I thought it was beautiful, and apparently the girls agreed too. It was a mint color, short and flowy. The top covered my shoulders and was white with lace. I bought a pair of black flats to go with it from the store next to that one that fit perfectly. Soon we found ourselves in front of the dreaded store: Victoria's Secret.  The girls dragged me into the store and forced me to buy pretty, but frilly undergarments. It was at Victoria's Secret that I found my white garment for the next night when I joined the pack. It was actually modest, for the store we'd bought it from. It was just a white slip that went to my mid thighs with spaghetti straps and a little bit of lace that lined the V-neck along the top.

We each carried several bags in our arms as we walked to the food court and we huffed as we sat down all of the bags at a table. After debating on what to get for our late lunch, I told Emily my sandwich order and sat at the small table, our of breath. Natalie sat across from me in her wooden chair, and Emily raced up to the sandwich shop line. She soon brought back a tray of our food and we ate quietly. After our adventure at the mall, Emily drove me back to the pack house, Natalie drove herself back in the car she'd borrowed earlier in the day. I rushed to my room with my new clothes, Emily following me with a few more white plastic bags of clothes we'd gotten. After an hour and a half of sorting and putting it all away into the closet, a soft knock came to my door. I turned to open the door before a flustered looking Alec rushed into the room, opening the door quickly and slamming it shut behind him. What in the world?!

"Alec what are y-" I started to ask as he ran up to me, fear evident on his face.

"Bad news, he's after me!"he shrieked frantically.