Chapter 27 part 1 The Prophecy

"The prophecy of The Great One is an old tale. It is believed to be the story of the strongest wolves in our history. Every few centuries a white wolf is bestowed grand abilities from the Moon Goddess, history has followed these lycans closely, though they always seem to fade from our memory. As the old book says, 'The Great One will encounter great trials. Being a white wolf, The Great One will be secluded. But in a time of great need and peril, The Great One shall discover a great power and shall overcome all trials. The Great One shall destroy a great threat to wolf kind. Saving all.'" John recited in his low, quiet voice.

I stared at him, shocked. I can't be The Great One. Just because I am a white wolf doesn't mean I am. Right?  Yet,John and Linda seemed so sure it was me. Why hadn't I heard of these white wolves before?  My pack was not exactly the most religious; not many still followed the teachings of the Moon Goddess, in fact most of the pups haven't even heard of her.

"Are you sure it's me? I mean, just because I am a white wolf doesn't mean-" I started to exclaim.

"But you have powers Katherine. There are no others like you." Linda said slowly.

I sighed to myself in frustration. That was true, and yet I found myself wondering what trial against wolf kind am I supposedly supposed to destroy?

I voiced my thoughts to the elderly couple. "Last I checked, we don't exactly have any enemies or any 'great dangers,'" I air quoted the word, dangers, "Maybe the prophecy isn't about me." I said, trying to avoid the facts like I always do when I don't want to believe something I know is true.

Linda sighed and looked over at her husband with weary eyes, "well we know it has to be you, because it wasn't me." She said quietly in a hushed tone, and I stared at her in shock once again.

"What?" I asked, my entire perception of the small woman in front of me changing.

She sighed and stood from her chair, leading me to the back yard; the back yard, though, was more of a back forest. Trees stretched for what seemed like miles in every direction, and tall grass reached high enough to pester my itchy ankles. Linda stood very still and closed her eyes silently. She rubbed her temples, slightly wrinkled with age, and I stared at her in anticipation. Suddenly a nearby fallen log rose and soared into the air gracefully. Dirt and decay fell away off the log as it slowly spun in circles before my eyes. I gasped and my knees buckled beneath me, causing me to fall to the ground.

"H-How?" I stammered as the log slowly fell back to the ground softly.

Linda opened her eyes slowly, clearly lacking energy.

"I am a white wolf too. I have the gifts the Moon goddess bestowed upon you, as well. We are the only two John and I know of. We know the Prophecy is about you, because it wasn't about me. It speaks of only one Great One, not two." She said slowly, softly, as if she were talking to a small child.

I stared at her shocked, confusion lacing every thought that raced through my mind.

I'm not the only one.

*****Michael's POV******
*Two years ago*

I groan in frustration as another pack member leaves my office, just as useless as the last. There is still no new news of Katherine. My sweet Katherine. I regret rejecting her everyday; I miss her sweet smile, the way her hair flies in the wind, and the way she laughs so carefree. I sigh to myself as I look down at my large wooden desk in front of me, my hands rubbing my tired face. I got a call from Katherine's parents, the betas, a day after I rejected her. They were frantic, Beta Bellcourt was frantically shouting into the phone and at first I couldn't decipher what he was saying. They sounded tearful and terrified, and I couldn't understand what had happened so I told them to wait for me. I drove to their house, bringing my men with me in case rogues had attacked. I pulled up to their house quickly, my mind racing thinking Katherine was hurt or worse. We sprinted into the house, already in attack mode, prepared to rip apart rogues. We found the Bellcourts holding each other crying, sitting on the couch in the living room. I had asked and pleaded them to tell me where Katherine was but they insisted they had no idea.

That's when they showed me the letter.

After reading the letter she had left behind, my knees buckled and I had crashed to the floor. Hot tears rolled down my cheeks as I realized this was my fault, and Katherine was going to die out in the wild at the hands of some disgusting rogue because of my selfish decision to reject her. I have been blaming myself ever since that all happened, three months ago. I've been searching for her nonstop ever since, hoping to find her alive and well instead of pulled apart, piece by piece in the woods somewhere. I rub my eyes tiredly as I shuffle some papers on the desk; I haven't been eating or sleeping much either. My pack and friends have been worrying about me a lot, which is nice, but I don't need their concerns. I just need my mate in my arms.

 I need Katherine.

***** Present day ******

This felt like deja vu: Katherine going missing again. But this time there was no letter, no note saying where she went or why she disappeared, only a bloody trail that led to no where. Once I figured out that Katherine was the training instructor for the Crescent Moon pack, I was so shocked. Not only was I surprised she was so in shape considering her condition before she had ran away, but because that meant I got to see her, to apologize to her, after so long of searching for her. I had almost given up on looking for my lost mate, thinking she'd either gotten so far away from me I wouldn't ever find her, or she'd been killed. When I finally saw her, saw how powerful she was, I was intimidated. I saw what she could do at those training lessons and I was in awe. She was so powerful, decisive, graceful, and beautiful. She seemed like a dream, as her long, dirty blond hair flew in the breeze when we went on our runs, and her smile seemed to glow as she laughed with her new pack.

Her new pack really seemed to hate me. Even Jordan, the calm and quiet one, seemed to hate me. Especially those twins, they made it clear that they housed resent for me. An example being, one time I was in the pack kitchen getting and apple, and Jordan, Kyle, and those twins all walked in and cornered me. Even more surprising, it was Jordan who threatened me that if I tried to talk to Katherine again they would all bury me alive in my own back yard. I was pretty terrified but, I didn't say anything back as I understood in that moment that these people were her new family and they wanted what was best for her. I just nodded quietly and they left me to eat my apple alone. That incident was at the beginning of training.

I did notice Katherine giving Alpha Thomas the silent treatment. According to rumor, they had been dating and she had gotten angry with him for some reason and refused to even talk to the guy. At first I had thought it was funny, despite my initial jealousy, then I realized that he and I were in the same boat. The only difference was I was in the part of boat designated for those who she would never talk to ever again.

I snapped out of my thoughts as my beta, Logan, taped me on the shoulder lightly. I looked over at him tiredly, neither of us had been getting much sleep lately. Logan is Katherine's older brother, and a year after she had left her father stepped down and Logan became my beta. He had been away when she left, but after a desperate call from the betas Logan returned home to search for his little sister. He had just returned to move with his mate a month before I had asked Crescent Moon for aid, so when I called him to tell him his sister had finally been found he took the first flight back, his mate in tow with their belongings. I felt so terrible for him, coming home once to find his sister gone, searching for her for two years, only for her to turn up missing again when she had finally been found. He never even got to see her with his own eyes before she was gone again.

"They said they found her scent in the woods near some cabin. They want to wait for you and her alpha to check it out first before they enter. They are standing by now." He said, his voice rising and falling with adrenaline as he spoke about the trackers we'd sent out after Katherine had been taken.

I nodded and shifted into my wolf quickly. Lead me to it beta logan. Lead me to your sister. I mind link him. He shifted and nodded at me before sprinting full speed ahead of me, disappearing into the woods. Logan had more of a dirty blond fur coat so it was a bit easier to follow him through the thick forest.

I'm coming Katherine. I'm coming to save you.