Chapter 9 Quiet Place

The drive home after school was quick and I soon found myself laying in bed, the warm sun shining in my eyes through the window. I stared up at my white ceiling, as I found myself doing often, and I blew the air from my mouth into the abyss. Maybe the black wolf would come by and we could play again. I finally got up and put on my tennis shoes and jacket before leaving for a hike in the woods. I brought a bag with me to allow me to change in and out of my clothes when I shifted into my wolf. I got to my favorite place in the woods: a beautiful, little, blue pond with a small waterfall and crystal clear water with small rocks and boulders around the sides; a quiet place in the woods surrounding it. I discovered this little paradise when I was a kid. It was after one of my parents' fights and I snuck out of my window to escape the anger that filled the house and suffocated me. I wanted to run from it all, so I did; I ran till my little legs ached and I found this sliver of heaven hidden in the woods behind my house.

I changed out of my clothes and shifted into my white wolf before dipping a paw into the water and shivering. The chilly weather made it a little cooler than I'd have liked, so I did one of my "tricks" as my mother had referred to them as. I blew over the surface of the water and it warmed slightly. I've had my tricks ever since I first shifted into my wolf, and it was the most painful experience I've ever had. Feeling every single tiny bone snap one at a time, the pain worsening with the breaking of every bone, the skin that covered my body stretching in grotesque ways to suit my new form before growing itchy fur.

After I passed out from the pain of shifting I awoke with these powers no one else had, so I showed my mom one time. I still remember her terror watching me freeze the pool water with a mere touch of a paw; She fainted. Other memories swirled around my mind as I watch the steam swirl into the cool air: that one time when I almost caught the house on fire because I tried to speed up the heating process of the turkey on Thanksgiving; with one blow the whole turkey caught aflame.

Here I found myself, two years later, and I had better control over my "tricks." I slid into the small pond and submerge myself into the warm water. I shook the wetness off my head as I popped it above the surface, and grin a wolfish grin as I swam around in the small pond. Suddenly the black wolf jumped into the water, splashing me. I growl playfully, hoping he would think the water had naturally warmed itself during the day.

We played in the water for awhile before getting cold and climbing out, the cool air sending chills up my spine. I would have normally used my powers to warm the water back up but, it was dark out, we were tired and I was not allowed to show or tell others of my abilities. For good reason: if I told anyone about my abilities there would be a price on my head so big not even I could run from. I shook my fur clean of water and looked over at the wolf next to me, realizing I needed to change into my human form. But I couldn't have shifted and changed into my clothes right there in front of him; he'd have seen me naked, and as much as I bet he wanted to see that, he wasn't going to get the time of the day. I walked behind the tree where the bag of my clothes sat behind but, he followed me. I growl lowly, picking up the bag of clothes in my mouth, and pushed him away slightly. He looked at me confused and walked back towards me. I inwardly sighed to myself and wondered why are guys so clueless sometimes.

I pushed him away with a paw and showed him my bag that I held in my mouth. He finally nodded, realizing what I had been trying to say, and looked down as he sat down, waiting. I mentally face palmed in annoyance. I pushed him away again before running to a different tree and at lightning speed shifted into my human form and changed into my clothes; another one of my abilities is speed, and it comes in handy sometimes. As I'm pulling on my shoes he finally caught up to me, standing behind the tree slightly out of breath.

"Took you long enough I've been dressed for like two minutes." I say exaggerating .

Technically I'd been dressed for fifty-five seconds but who was counting? He just looked at me with his blue eyes, confused, and I laughed before patting his head. He looked adorable, one of his ears flopped down and the other standing at its full length.

"I was trying to get you to go away so I could shift and change. But, you didn't seem to want to leave. I guess you prefer to watch girls get dressed. If you don't mind, I'm going to head home. I'm tired" I said, smirking.

At first his eyes widened, then he just gave me a wolfish grin and nodded at me. He started to trot off a different way than the path leading to my house and my brows furrowed in confusion. I had always wondered which pack he was from, but I never followed him into the woods because I feared rogues. Was that the way to his pack? I debated following him and decided it was time to find out who my secret friend was. Quietly and quickly I followed the black wolf through the woods, weaving between trees while keeping my distance. Silence and agility are something I'm good at; they are both apart of the powers package I got when I shifted for the first time.

I silently followed the wolf though the woods until he came to a stop and sniffed the air. I watched as the blond wolf came from elsewhere in the forestry and stopped a few feet from the black beast. The dark alpha started growling lowly while the blond wolf stood defensively as if waiting for the other to attack. But he must have known he could have never won; in a fight against an alpha he would be slaughtered! I was about to step in and voice my thoughts, to plead for them to not fight, but a twig snapped from under my foot. I gasped quietly, sucking in my breath, and hid behind a big tree. Both wolves immediately spun to look at me, and I measured my breaths hoping they wouldn't investigate the noise. After a few moments of silence, I heard the breaking of leaves and snapping of twigs and suddenly a very human voice rang through the trees.

"Stay away from her" ordered a deep, yet strangely familiar, voice.

"I have every right to see her if I want to" another said, angrily.

 Wait a second; I knew that deep, smooth, voice: Sergio. I stood silently, shell shocked, while they continued to talk.

"No, you don't. Stay away from her. You're not good for her. I smelled your scent at her home the other day; if I find out you ever get that close again I will have no choice but to kill you. Stay the fuck away from her!"  the first voice said, and I suddenly realized why that voice was so familiar.

Michael.

I spun on my heel, turning around the tree I had been behind, and stared at them. Without staring at their unclothed bodies, I looked at their surprised faces. How had I not noticed it before: Michael was the black wolf.