Chapter 10 part 2 Deathly Conflict

I looked away from the scene laid before me and debated on whether I should go out there and ask what had happened while Michael was away. I had been really concerned about the reason why Michael had simply dragged a dead rouge into my yard. Was that what they heard earlier? It seemed unlikely that he would have left a fight with Sergio just to go hunt a random rogue outside our territory; there had to have been a good reason for the dead wolf laying motionless in my back yard. I decided to hurry to the back door and I opened the door before quietly and slowly, walking to the dark brown heap in the grass. Crimson blood had dried and stuck to the fur around its throat and seeped out onto the green grass under the body. I stared on in horror, watching the dark liquid pool around the unnaturally still corpse.

"Calm down I did this. Its just a rouge. Besides he was stalking you. I had to take him out" Michael said, as if it were nothing.

I stared at him angrily, "yeah, because that's so not creepy. Wait, weren't you both stalking me anyway? What makes him any different from you two?" I shouted heatedly and looked at them both.

Looks of hurt smeared themselves across their faces and they remained quiet before they looked over at each other with death glares.

"Oh stop it with the World War Three glares. Who is he?" I asked pointedly, looking at the dead wolf.

I hate seeing dead people or wolves. As a werewolf it becomes part of life, it holds a heavy prevalence in our world between pack wars and rogues. Despite our strengthened senses, many wolves die each year, most murdered by others of our kind. A few wolves die from human hunters or sickness, but the most common killer is also the most violent. As a child I had witnesses a mass slaughter of my pack, and to this day I cannot stand the rich smell of blood. It weighs heavy in the air, even days after death has left the ground in search of new prey, and it weighs heavier on the soul of survivors. I had wondered if there was a reason I had been spared from the attack, many had fought to protect me, gave their lives for the safety of the betas' daughter, but I still had no idea why I had to be the only one to survive. It was no mere act of mercy, the rogues had never known such an act, but of mere luck.

"I have no idea who he is, but they've been switching posts watching you for weeks." Michael said critically, finally ripping his heated gaze from Sergio to me and pulling me from the memories of cries in the night and the smell of blood.

I stare at him, "and you know this how?" I asked, pointedly.

Sergio, who had oddly been silent as the scene played out in front of him, said quietly, "because he's been watching you too. Haven't you?" he stared heatedly at Michael with the most ferocious glare I'd ever seen.

Damn. He was really taking the best friend break up situation hard. Maybe I was a little hard on him at school, but I had been trying to protect him, not hurt him. Why did these two hate each other so much? They had barely known each other aside from attending the same school together.

"Yeah, because it's not like you weren't trying to put the moves on her, coming over and being all over her!" Michael spit angrily.

I groaned, here we go again, I thought to myself.

"I didn't do anything she didn't want!" Sergio yelled defensively.

I sighed and stood up from the still body laying in the grass in front of me. The guys continued to fight and bicker as I paced in front of them quietly. Suddenly I heard the snap of a small twig breaking coming from the woods and I spun to see what had caused the quiet noise. I saw a flicker of movement shifting through the forestry, but Michael and Sergio were too busy fighting to have heard the snap, let alone see the quick brown flash of fur in the woods. I shifted into my wolf again and jumped over the fighting guys before sprinting into the woods, chasing after the rogue. I saw another flash of fur but darker this time, and suddenly a dark black wolf jumped onto me, tackling me to the forest floor.

I struggled under him, trying to get away, and he growled, pinning me under his radiating power. I looked up and the realization hit me like a bucket of ice water: Michael was the one who tackled me, and I was not going to get away that easily. A low growling echoed around us from behind our struggling heap and I noticed Sergio had followed me as well. I growled lowly, trying to be as threatening as possible. Michael leaned down and looked as if he was either going to lick me or kill me. Suddenly the heavy weight had been lifted off me and I could finally breathe easily. Sergio had tackled Michael into the hard ground and Michael feel into unconsciousness while Sergio backed away from his body, circling his prey. I looked around bewildered and saw Michael laying on the leaf covered forest floor, and Sergio growling lowly, about to go for the kill.

"NO!!" I screamed in my mind racing towards the angry beast.

Suddenly the forest went silent and Sergio shifted into his human form, before dropping to the ground and covering his ears in pain. Michael, now awoken and shifted into his human form, had also covered his ears, groaning in pain. I sprinted over to Michael and examined his wounds to find he had none; he wasn't bleeding so he seemed fine to me. I noticed they were both still covering their ears in pain.

What happened?