Chapter 14 part 1 Alone

I tapped the shy boy on the shoulder and he quickly looked up at me. I felt so bad for this sweet kid but I needed to do something about my situation or I would be left with nothing. I smiled sweetly and he smiled back weakly. I whispered to follow me in his ear and smiled as he nodded before I quickly led him out the doors to the outdoor seating area. He quietly followed me outside to the nearby forestry and I could feel my nervousness rising in my chest and spreading through my limbs. I ducked behind a tree in case anyone had decided to follow us or watched us from the small window in the door we had walked through, and turned to look at him. I could tell he was nervous, it seemed obvious he thought exactly the same thing I wanted everyone else to think, and I felt bad for disappointing him.

"Hey, sorry to do this but do you have the geometry home work?" I ask politely.

I just couldn't actually make out with the poor guy like I had planned, just thinking about it made my wolf and I feel wrong all over. He nodded, his brown hair bouncing slightly, and told me in a surprisingly low voice that he could text me the answers after school. I smiled politely, telling him my phone number and kissed his cheek because that was as close to actually kissing him as I could manage. After gently ruffling his hair for effect, claiming he'd had a leaf in it, I watched his cheeks blush slightly, and I pushed down the fear that had began to pool in my stomach. I flipped my hair over my shoulder and pulled my shirt down a little as I faked a smile.

"Let's get back to lunch then." I said and led him back to the lunch room smiling secretively over at him before he went back to his seat blushing and I went to my table where Rowan sat with a large smile.

"I hope that was worth it" I mumbled to Rowan, my smile fading quickly.

"It will be" She replied quietly and pretended to giggle at something I'd said.

Suddenly a loud crash sounded from the other side of the cafeteria. Everyone turned to watch Michael, practically seething, choking the boy from my geometry class. Shit. The poor boy was practically blue as I ran over and shoved Michael off of him. The boy gasped for air as Michael growled at me for snatching away his prey.

"Are you okay?!" I asked, I think his name was Dan.

Dan nodded quickly, staring at Michael's angry shape behind me, and swiftly stood up before booking it out of the cafeteria. I turned to look at Michael, his green-blue eyes had turned black with rage, and I glared at him.

"What the hell is your problem?!" I shrieked and chased after Dan, finding him in the hallway pacing and rubbing his hands together.

"Are you-" I began to ask before suddenly I was shoved back into the closed cafeteria door and Michael stood in front of me, growling loudly.

"Damn it Michael, back down!" I cried, although I knew it isn't in an alpha's genetics to ever back down, especially not when his mate is in distress.

He growled louder and got down onto his hands and knees, as if about to shift. I groaned and ran in front of him, trying to protect Dan, and looked into his black eyes.

"Calm down." I pleaded, realizing I had lost control of the situation; I didn't want Dan to get hurt because of my selfish desires.

Rowan burst into the hallway and took in the scene that laid before her, while Dan stood frozen behind me afraid to further anger the powerful man that stood in front of me. She tried to grab my arm to get me away from Michael, trying to salvage what was left of the plan. Michael, seeing this as a threat, growled angrily and shifted into his wolf. I glared at Rowan, and stretched my arm out to Michael's wolf hoping the touch of his mate would calm him. He snapped his powerful jaw at my small hand, and I gasped, scrambling away from the beast. He whined at me before Rowan grabbed my hand and helped me stand. I grabbed Dan's hand and the three of us turned before sprinting down the hallway at an inhuman speed.

As we turned the corner to the main hallway I could hear the heavy paws of the powerful wolf chasing after us. I shoved Rowan and Dan into a near by classroom that had left its door open, saving them from the predator that sought them, and I continued to run to the front doors. Michael ran right behind me, his large black wolf not faltering for a second. I took a deep breath and burst out the doors and fall down onto the cement walkway that led to the parking lot. I needed to get away; I had to run. Give me control I'm faster my wolf said to me and I shifted after throwing off my leather jacket into the grass. She took control, shifting me into the back of my mind as we began to run much faster across the road in front of the school and into the woods. I worried about Michael and wondered what Dan and Rowan had done after I shoved them into the classroom. Sergio was going to freak out when he'd heard Michael had not only rejected me, but also tried to kill a pack member because he'd spoken to me.

I barely noticed that my wolf had out run Michael's and we had ran all the way to my house. I took back control and get inside through the backdoor of the house. I shifted as I entered the kitchen and ran to my room crying. I had put other people in danger because I was upset that my mate had rejected me, I felt terrible for the other pack members who'd gotten hurt because of me. There was no telling what Michael's wolf would do to the others because I had gotten away. I got redressed in a t-shirt and jeans and pulled on my black converse, the pain of everything cutting me so deep I had become numb.

I packed a bag, filling it with clothes and my money I had hidden in my dresser drawer, before heading into the bathroom. I packed my hygiene products from the shower and my tooth brush, tossing my tooth paste into a pocket on the front of the bag. I quickly walked to the kitchen, tears silently dripping onto the carpet and hardwood under my feet, and grab as much food as I could fit into the bag. I couldn't put anyone else at risk but I couldn't stay in a pack that hated me so much. I had thought that meeting my mate would have made all the pain I'd been through worth it, but when Michael rejected me he stripped me of the only thing that would keep me there. After I packed everything and zip up the bag, I pulled on a jacket and my bag onto my back.

 I grabbed a piece of paper from a notepad that we'd used for grocery lists, and wrote my parents my goodbye.

Dear mom and dad, I ran away. It was nothing you did or didn't do. This pack has never wanted me; I've been bullied my entire life and I'm tired of it. I can no longer handle the pain I feel every day, knowing I am a disappointment to you. Tell Rowan it isn't her, and I hope she has a beautiful life without me. If it weren't for my "mate" I'd stay here, for you. I can't live here, knowing I am not enough for my mate, my family, and my pack. I love you always, maybe one day I will return.
Until then,
~Katherine

I left the note on the island in the kitchen and I walked out to the back yard with a heavy heart.
I'm really going to do this, I told myself as I started sprinting into the woods.

Good bye Alpha Mate.