Chapter 21 part 2 A Show

The next morning as rowan and I woke, a soft rapt on the door snapped us awake. Technically I'm not here. I dove under the bed silently and rowan got up slowly, and answered the door. She mumbled something and soon the door was shut. She came back over to me a swift as a cat, bending down to the floor, and smiled like one too.

"We're safe. It was just Anna."

Anna was the Smith's maid. She worked for them ever since Rowan had been born. She was an elderly hispanic woman who came from a pack that had been destroyed by rogues. She was always very kind and lenient with us. She has thick, black hair that she always tied back out of her face. She always wore her normal clothes because the Smiths told her she was family, not a stranger who simply cleaned their house. She came to any meals that they hosted and she attended Rowan and I's middle school graduation ceremony.

We got dressed and ate breakfast in the kitchen quickly. There was really no point in hiding me from her family or other pack members because the Crescent Moon pack was supposed to arrive that morning. I had already come to terms with the fact that everyone would realize I hadn't ran far those years ago, and it would mean I could introduce myself to everyone here as a member of the new pack. Rowan's parents were already at the pack house, waiting for the visiting pack members to arrive, so I couldn't say hello to them until later in the day. After we ate we walked down the street to the large pack house. I look around me at the cute town I grew up in, memories flooding my mind. Images of a little girl walking to get her favorite ice cream down at the ice cream parlor. The next, being a memory of the same small girl in pigtails, swinging happily on the swings at the park, a soft brown haired boy swinging next to her. I smile reminiscing over my sunny childhood.

As we walked closer to the big, busy, pack house, my stomach drops. Memories of a girl, around twelve, who just wanted to play with the big kids, getting picked on outside the doors. The harsh words the older kids yelled as they kicked me suddenly flooding back, like a tide of black ocean water in a storm at sea. The older kids never wanted me around. They always thought I was weird because I was different; I didn't know how to hide my gifts from others without serious focus so I had stopped talking to people and I would hide in my house for long periods of time.

We went to the back yard to the training grounds and I smiled. This is going to be fun. My pack had already arrived and started instructing the Blue moon pack to get into rows. This will be an awesome entrance. I send rowan ahead of me into a random row, then shake myself out. I'm very tense and being tense is bad when working out. Deep breaths. Katherine calm down. We'll be fine. Just focus on doing what we do best, my wolf says to me. I nod a little and take one last breath as I listen to Payton as he speaks to the mass of people, my hands slightly shaking at my sidea.

"Now everybody find a partner. Someone who can run as fast as you can and is your same height and build. They will be your rock to work with." He continues.

I shake out again and grin.
Here we go.

I run up behind Payton and tackle him to the ground. I swing my legs around his throat and hold him down.

"Now listen up people." I shout after the crowd erupts into gasps and murmurs of surprise.

"I said listen!" Immediately everyone quiets as they watch me.

"That is why you pick someone your build. So you can practice small and work your way up. Now as you can see" I continue to point out all the major attack points on Payton and explain them as he struggles under me.

I smirk as I eventually get off him, dusting off my knees and hands. He never runs the training sessions, usually it's me or Emily. He stands up from the ground, looking down at me angrily as he dusted his clothes off. He must have tried to take my place because I was still missing to him. I know how disrespectful I was being, showing his weaknesses in front of the entire pack, but I had decided I couldn't let him hurt me anymore. Rowan was right, I shouldn't be treated the way he'd been treating me. If he truly loves me he will allow me to forgive him in my own time, and he will not lay another hand on me unless it's to please or love me.

"Now, we are going to be going on our five mile run. If you need to stop, stay with your buddy at all times." My voice echoes around the grounds, everyone staring at me in surprise, a few whispering to their partners.

I walk to the start of the trail smiling devilishly, my wolf getting more excited to show off to the people who had hurt us. My own excitement grew as I realized I hadn't ran this trail since I was much younger, and now I find myself so much stronger.

"Oh and," I call behind me after everyone groaned, "try to keep up."

I laugh wickedly and take off like a jet speeding down the trail everyone had beaten down during the years of training. I know the Blue Moon pack doesn't train their members very hard, they haven't since the massacre when I was younger. Alpha Warner became more closed off, and he focused more on offense like building up a few pack members to do rounds every day instead of strengthening all the members.