Chapter 21 part 1 Blue moon Magic

*** hey guys the link above is to one of my favorite songs. Kryptonite, by 3 doors down. Can you find the connection between the song and the story? Comment!
*****†***************†************†*

I made my way to Blue moon the next morning and sniffed the air as I approached the boarder. It smelled of home. Pine cones and old oak trees. I suddenly got cold feet. What if I can't escape this time like Rowan had warned me. When I leave this time, I'm taking Rowan with me. I can't leave her again, especially not here with them after they find out how close I've been and how powerful my wolf has become. I can't do that to her.

I mentally shake my head and trot to Rowans small home, slinking slowly close to the ground. I silently crept into Rowan's backyard, a muddy shadow amongst the dark shrubbery. I leaped into her open bedroom window and I softly hit the wood floor. I crouch lowly, as to not be seen, as I cross the room to hide behind Rowan's big purple bed. I shifted and got dressed quickly into one of her shirts and I steal some of the clothes from her dresser, knowing she wouldn't mind. I tie my long hair back with a small black hair tie from the pile on her dresser and I check myself in the mirror. Rowan should be here hopefully soon, I think. I didn't exactly tell her I was coming, as I feared she was still around Michael everyday. To keep the element of surprise, I decided ultimately to not tell her about my little visit.

So I slowly reminisced at all of the pictures of us that were hanging on the wall and leaning against the wall in colorful and bronze picture frames. Little girls smiling cheesily at the camera while covered in dirt and grass after a long day playing outside and in the mud. Another picture with a gold frame I gently pick up with a small smile. It was from when we were eight; it had rained heavily earlier in the day and I came over with my swimsuit after being promised that we would go to the local pool park. Her mother was ill that day so, instead of going to the pool, we put on our little swimsuits and we swam in the puddles in front of her house. We had the best time in the murky water and mud. We had so much wonder and ambition back when we were kids.

I pick up a green framed picture and chuckle. It was a picture of our little group: Rowan, Garrett, Logan, Lexy, and I. My wolf painfully reminds me, and Michael, she whispers. I sigh and set down the picture. I miss the old days. Rowan and I obviously stayed friends, and Garrett, Rowan's older brother, found his mate Amy, then moved away to live with her in Michigan. They now have three happy little girls and a spoiled little boy. Logan, my older brother, moved to collage and found his cute mate Amanda. They're so adorable. Lexy was like my best friend while Rowan is a sister to me. Lexy and I just kind of lost contact through the years. She and Rowan got in a big fight and I was put in a very incapable position between the two. She just left the group and her family soon moved away to a new pack up north.

I continue to reminisce over my childhood pictures when suddenly I heard footsteps in the hallway. I recognize those footfalls anywhere, one always falling harder than the other; a habit and just how she walks. I dived behind the bed and stayed silent as Rowan entered the room and slammed her door. She sighs.

"I told her my bra is green jeeze why can't she listen?!" She groans and lays on her bed.

I giggle quietly under the bed and she gasps.

"I recognize that giggle anywhere! KATHERINE!!" She shrieks and suddenly I'm pulled out from under the bed and trapped in a giant, suffocating, bear hug.

I gasp for air as she cries into my shoulder.

"I thought I'd never see you again!" She cries, her voice soft and muffled in my shirt.

I hug her back slowly. I missed her uncontrollably and immensely.

"C-Can't b-breathe." I gasp.

After being released, I explain everything to her and when I finish telling my story we both have cried, she threatened Payton multiple times, and she thinks she's in love with Alec. Somewhere in the couple hours we talked, a bag of potato chips was opened and eaten.

"Kat... I hope you understand that mates don't normally hurt each other, that's not normal. He shouldn't be doing that." She says gently.

"I know. I know it's not good, I know it's not normal, I know what it is. I know it's abuse." I say looking down.

 I look up at my best friend who I tell every thing, "but Rowan, he's all I have besides for you. My real mate is more aggressively abusive. At least he was as I remember." I finish, staring at the old pictures in their frames.

We sigh together and I look up.

"Speaking of, what do you think will happen tomorrow when my pack comes to help out. When Michael finds out that I have been there for the whole two years. Not that he looked for me, but still, and more so, when he finds out that I can probably kick his ass at one-on-one combat. I have a couple marine friends. You know Emily and Chase I told you about?"

She nods.

"They both were in the marines together. That's how they met and discovered they're mates." I say sweetly.

 They really are adorable, and chase looks at Emily like she's his entire world. His sunset and sunrise. His everything. It's so lovely. She squeals happily.

"I bet they're amazingly cute." She says and throws the bag, empty of chips, to the dark brown hardwood floor.

"Katherine I have something to tell you." Rowan stared down at her hands laying in her pale lap.

"What is it?" I ask confused.

"Katherine..." she pauses, "Katherine your parents are.. Your parents they.. They died." She whispers.

Shock and pain spread through my body like the most painful of poisons. I curled up with my arms across my chest, and I stopped hearing everything but a loud white noise. I dully registered her trying to comfort me, yet I couldn't listen. Sobs escaping my mouth as I retched forward and screamed into the mattress. Crying my heart out as softly as I could, as not to wake the whole town up. Rowan rubbed soothing circles on my back, and soon enough I quieted.

"When. How?" I ask as my episode of anguish ended.

"A couple months after you left. They went searching for you. Of course they blamed themselves. We all did. While they were gone, we were attacked by rouges and Sergio went missing. The next day your parents never returned home." She explained sadly.

"That's enough, Kat you don't need more hurt. Let's sleep." She turned off her purple lamp next to the bed and we curled in under the sheets like we used to at countless sleepovers.

"Good night Rowan." I murmur, my tired eyes droopy and heavy with weariness from the long day behind me and the hard cry.

I fell asleep before I could hear her reply. I dreamed of mates: Payton and Michael.

In my dream, I am with Michael in a warm green field of grass and flowers. Beautiful butterflies and fireflies zip and fly around me as I laugh. I spin in my cotton white summer dress, the sun warming my skin. Michael takes my hand and leads me to a small blue pond, as blue as the Pacific ocean. I grin. He pushes me in and I laugh as I splash him with cold water. Suddenly, like a scene from a horrible movie, the pond turns to an infinite depth of darkness. I struggle and choke on the water as I fight to get above surface.

I finally pop my heavy head above the water screaming for Payton. Suddenly Payton appears and smiles a toothy grin before he grabs my hand. He quickly shoves me back under the darkening water as I scream for him to let go, the cold water filling my mouth and lungs. He laughs maliciously and shoves me farther while my body fights for air. I choke on the ice cold water as I sink lower, my vision becoming spotty.
I plunge to the bottom of the infinite water, never hitting a bottom, or seeing anything but black, empty,
Darkness.