Prologue

*Author's note: In honor of today (2/17) being Riley's birthday; I have decided to release the prologue 2 weeks early! Let me know what you think! Happy reading!

~~~~~

Fate was impossible to avoid. No matter how many times she dreamt of the future, her dreams would always lead her to the same nightmare as she watched helpless as the flames slowly burned her little brother alive.

The queen shot awake shaking her head, clenching the sheets as her hands trembled. Wetness pressed against her cheeks thanks to her betrayal of her tear ducts.

"Queen, is everything alright?"

Her eyes turned to face the platinum haired man standing outside her bedchambers, staring at his sister in worry, awoken from her screams.

"Vaeril, it was the same nightmare again." She sighed.

The elven prince nodded understanding the pain she must be feeling to see someone's death playing on repeat in her mind. Though neither of them had seen their younger brother since he was born, the pain was unmistakeable.

"Have there been any changes?" He questioned.

She shook her head. It was still the same outcome. To prevent his death, she knew what she had to do. It was time for her to travel to the human world as foresaw eons ago and shape fate towards the outcome she wanted.

"I am going to Earth. It is time to enact my plan." The Queen stated as she climbed from her bed, altering her silk sleeping garments into her leather riding gear.

"So soon? But they are only children still!" Vaeril argued.

The Queen nodded as she gazed at her brother, his face hiding a slight bout of worry after the news from yesterday. One of those children had already caused harm with their magic. She couldn't let her children cause anymore harm; it was time to step in and guide her children towards their destinies.

"Vaeril, take care of the kingdom in my absence." She ordered as she conjured a portal with her magic, shooting a sly smile to her twin as she took the steps through.

The darkness of her world turned to daylight as she arrived to earth on the other side in the backyard of one of the children.

The golden haired girl giggled as she ran through the yard, her dog playing tag with her keeping the only child company in the summer heat. The Queen smiled, recalling her own lost daughter as she watched the girl run. The dog paused, catching the Elf's scent letting out a low growl as it stood right in front of her.

"Sunshine, why are you growling?" the girl called out as she followed her dog's gaze to the Elf.

She might as well reveal herself, there was no point remaining invisible much longer. The girl jumped in shock as she studied the weird woman before her in interest, walking circles as she examined every detail from the weird look of her clothes to the look of her pale skin, commanding grey eyes hidden behind sharp cheekbones, long platinum blonde hair hanging in a loose braid down her back.

"It is rude to stare." The Queen snapped.

"How did you appear out of thin air?" The girl replied, unfazed by the woman's harsh tone.

Her dog whimpered as the Queen shot both of them a look, tucking its tail and laying down beside the child's feet.

"Sunshine, don't be scared by the mean ghost lady. She is just grumpy you're not her dog."

"I am not a ghost, child." The Queen spat a bit perturbed at the child's sass.

"Then what are you? You really are pale and why do you have pointy ears?" The girl questioned.

The Queen sighed as she morphed herself to the girl's height, altering into a seven year old child herself. The girl smiled at the woman, now child excited about the new friend before her.

"Wow, so are you like a superhero?"  She beamed, her eyes lit up in awe.

"No, I am Queen of the Elves." The Queen snapped at the curious child before her.

"Where is your crown? I thought queens were supposed to wear crowns?" The girl muttered as she suspiciously eyed the elf before her.

The Queen sighed regretting her decision of choosing this child to appear before. Maybe she would have been better off with one of the boy's instead. This girl was the most important of her children and the only one that would be able to save her brother in the future. No, despite the girl's sass, she had made the right choice.

"Queen's don't wear their crowns all the time. They tend to get in the way." She sighed.

"How do I know you really are a queen without your crown?" The girl questioned, placing her hands on her hips as she glared at the Queen.

The queen rolled her eyes, waving her hands making the silver crown appear, its spikes adorned with brilliant blue crystals. The girl gasped in shock, reaching out to study the crown, her small fingers brushing against the points.

"Here, you can wear it." The queen sighed placing it upon the child's head.

The child gasped in shock, feeling the weight of the jewels atop her golden hair, the crown tipping sideways from being to big.

"Now you see what I mean about it being heavy?" The queen snapped making the crown disappear from atop the child's head.

The girl nodded, her amber eyes unblinking, filled with adoration of the Queen.

"Do you want to be friends?" The child blurted out.

A small smile broke across the queen's lips as she nodded, "Yes we can be friends."

She gasped as the child flung her arm's around the Queen squealing in delight. "We are going to be the best of friends!"

~~~~~