Chapter 29

Devan and Marcus watched Derek disappear from sight before they could even process what he was doing. The demon smirked at the two men, winking at them before following Derek as he disappeared.

"Derek, wait!" Devan shouted.

"Devan, come on, we have to go back and help the others!" Marcus cried.

Marcus attempted to apparate, frowning when he realized that he couldn't. Devan tried too, annoyed that they weren't allowed to leave.

"What the hell, why can't we follow?" Marcus snapped.

"That stupid demon of Derek's stopped us," Devan grumbled as he studied the wards surrounding the building preventing them from leaving. His eyes narrowed in on the words, smirking at the clause tied into the runes composing the wards.

"What's so funny?" Marcus questioned as he peered over Devan's shoulder.

"He wants us to finish the mission. That's the only way the wards would be lifted," Devan grinned.

"Well, I guess we can't stop our assignment half way through. It would defeat the purpose," Marcus sighed as he continued pushing forward down the hallway.

They were supposed to be rescuing Nikkolai's younger brother today after learning about his whereabouts. Devan knew that the boy had been stashed away by his own father after an incident the child pulled causing several lives to be lost. He knew that Declan Murrell was a dangerous child and an useful weapon. The boy was equally as powerful as Derek but lacked the compassion to regret his decisions like Derek did. Devan knew they couldn't let Michael Noble keep his hands on the child to continue brainwashing him. It was time to finally rescue the boy.

Marcus led the way through the twisting hallways as he searched for Declan with Devan taking up the lead. The boy was kept in an isolation unit at the end of the asylum when they finally found his room. Declan lay in a drug induced state, his reddish brown hair a tangled mess as he stared blankly ahead.

"What have they done to him?" Marcus asked as he studied the child.

"They need to keep control of him so they pumped extra doses of magical suppressant drugs in his system," Devan sighed as he knelt down next to the unresponsive boy.

"Declan, can you hear me?" Devan asked as he shook the boy.

Declan looked up at him with glazed eyes, not sure it was reality he was facing. The boy turned his head, glancing towards another direction of the room, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion at something only he could sense. Marcus and Devan looked at each other, unsure of what the boy felt. Alarms began ringing, the whole building shaking from a blast.

"What the hell was that?" Marcus gasped.

"I don't know, but we better get out of here!" Devan cried. He reached down and scooped Declan up, throwing him over his shoulder.

Marcus and Devan began to rush towards the exit in a mad dash to avoid any guards. The sounds of the patients could be heard through the walls as they pressed their faces against the windows of their rooms, crying in alarm at the noise. The two rounded a corner, colliding with someone else coming from the opposite direction of the isolation wards.

Marcus froze, noticing the familiar face as his mind tried to process their identity, "Mary?" He gasped.

"Guess again," she winked.

Marcus's jaw dropped, as he studied the mousy haired girl, watching as her features slowly changed, revealing a platinum haired grey eyed woman with sharp eleven cheekbones, her ears pointing through her long hair.