Chapter 46

Riley was brought back to consciousness by the smell of blood and screams of terror filling the air. She blinked in a haze trying to figure out where exactly she was. The last thing she remembered was a dragon crashing into the wedding before a freight train hit her. Well, maybe not a freight train, but the traces of magic still lingered in her making her whole body feel like lead. Damn that Michael Noble, she would definitely get him back for giving her that cursed ring that took all of her energy away.

It was hard to see her surroundings through the smoke in the air. Riley found herself feeling around on the ground trying to figure out where exactly in the church she was. Her hands froze at the feel of something squishy beneath her palms. Riley fought back the urge to vomit at the remains of Ivan. Only his flesh and guts remained, all the bones in his body were gone. Where was Isaac? Did he know of his brother's fate? Riley looked around, to see that a wall of fire separated her from the rest of the Wizards. The only ones who remained on this side of the wall were Kenny and Luke who were struggling against a monstrous looking figure.

Riley struggled to call out Kenny's name, but her voice wouldn't work as she watched the monstrosity push him back with pure black magic full of nothing but murderous intent. A skeleton fell back through the flames, pushed back by the Wizards on the other side. The bones scattered across her feet, but didn't stay scattered for long before reforming the body of the undead creature.

"Damn, they just keep coming back!" A voice on the other side of the wall of flames screamed as the skeleton blindly pushed its way back through to continue the fight.

Her attention returned to the duel between Kenny, Luke, and the monster. She never imagined to see the boys struggle this much in a fight. Various cuts from undodged spells were scattered on both boy's bodies. The monster laughed, its voice inhuman at the sight. "You will never stop me! I will rule all wizards, give up you stupid boy!"

Michael Noble was behind the voice. Riley immediately realized that this man had done the taboo in order to make himself stronger. Luke and Kenny wouldn't be able to hold out for much longer. She had to help them. It was a struggle to stand, her legs shaking as she fought the weight of her dress. Riley wouldn't be able to fight in this bulky mess of white fabric and jewels. She muttered a silent spell causing the dress to rip at her knees, allowing more freedom of movement so she could run to Luke and Kenny's aid.

"Leave them alone!" Riley pushed herself in front of Kenny and Luke to stop Michael from further hurting them.

"Riley, get back, you're too weak to fight right now!" Kenny ordered. Riley shook her head, glaring at Michael.

"You don't look much better, yourself!" She snapped.

"Riles!" Luke tackled Riley, pushing her to the ground as Michael flung another hex, using his own body as a shield.

His body became nothing but dead weight on top of Riley. She struggled to shove his unconscious self off of her, watching in horror as Kenny was taken down next. Michael pointed his wand at the blonde ready to deal the finishing blow. Riley leapt to her feet, standing in front of Kenny with her arms spread to shield him from further harm.

"So, Sorceress, I see you want to be taken down first?"

"Go to hell, you psycho!" Riley remembered the incantation that she had previously used in the past when she had opened the gates of hell on the previous sorceress. If she could repeat the spell, she could stop this man. The only problem was that she feared she didn't have enough magic to safely complete the incantation.

With a deep sigh, Riley began to recite the words of the spell. "Stirs gwynt, welters dŵr." Wind began to swirl and rain began to fall, extinguishing the wall of fire separating them from the others.