Chapter 14

Marcus was not ecstatic to be rushed out on another mission when he barely had the time to recuperate from the last one. However, Leila and Nathan had found a lead on one of the gate keys and gate locations and needed assistance in the destruction of the gate. He was reluctant to leave Derek behind with only Ryder, Kyle, Rachel, and Chelsea at the base to keep guard. If his friend was to awaken, he might try something idiotic without someone stronger there or more commanding to put a stop to the fool's antics.

Of course, the adults had assured him that Derek wouldn't have any reason to try anything in an attempt to ease his worries. The thing was, Derek wasn't in the right state of mind since Morgan died. After Luke betrayed him, Devan imprisoned, and Riley in a coma, Marcus was last on the list of people that Derek would actually listen to. Derek wouldn't even mind his own father who was helping the cause even if he was trapped back on a rescue mission in America.

Marcus sighed, as he headed towards the meeting point where Leila and Nathan would be waiting. It had been over a week since he last had the chance to see his girlfriend and he was glad to finally get to reunite with her despite it being a mission bringing them back together. Nathan was ok to hang around too even if he had grown even more serious after the death of Jasmine. Nathan had fully devoted himself to the Resistance, not afraid to run head first into a fight to take back the Council. He wasn't as reckless as Derek, but it still worried Marcus that Nathan would do something stupid too when the time came.

Leila leant against the building, her raven black hair tied in a loose braid hanging on her shoulder as she scrolled through her phone, hand on her hip waiting for Marcus. Nathan stood beside her, arms crossed and a frown on his face as he studied the entrance to the ally making sure no foes attempted to ambush them from the streets.

Marcus was still invisible as he approached, his hood drawn over his face obscuring his identity. Hiding in the shadows was a special skill of his and partly why they needed his help. With his ability to easily become invisible and slip through unnoticed, he would be the perfect asset of entering the location of the place where the gate was.

Marcus wasn't particularly fond of the desert heat watching as the sun reflected off the pavement, the heat wavering in the air smothering the city. The locals seemed unfazed, used to the weather while tourists traipsed about in barely nothing, sweat beading down their bodies. Marcus was thankful he was a wizard and had the ability to cast a spell to keep the heat from affecting him.

"So, where is the gate?" Marcus questioned causing Nathan to jump.

"Oh, hey Marcus. It took you long enough," Leila sighed.

She never lifted her head, knowing he was still invisible. Marcus smirked, lowering his hood as he eyed his friends.

"Bloody Merlin, thanks for the heart attack," Nathan groaned.

Marcus shrugged his shoulders not really caring Nathan was upset. The boy should know he had the ability to walk around invisible with ease thanks to his hoodie, a gift he received as a child.

"The gate is in the Council building," Leila muttered pointing towards the giant mosque peaking its way over the buildings.

"Hell, this is going to be tougher than I thought," Marcus sighed as he eyed the monument.

The Egyptian council were smart to build a fortress around the gate, their Council taking residence in secret inside the famous mosque in the magic city.

"I told you we should have gotten Voisin instead. He probably has agents on the inside that could help him," Nathan growled.

"Voisin is working on finding information on Derek's brother!" Leila snapped.