Chapter 36

Riley groaned, rubbing her eyes as she stumbled from her bed heading towards the door to stop the persistent knocking. It was the middle of the night, or more like early morning. She frowned as she glanced down at the alarm clock, the time 3:33 blaring back at her.

"Luke, what do you-" she began as she flung the door open.

She frowned, seeing no one there, her eyes glancing down, about jumping in shock at the glazed over red eyes blankly staring at her. Declan shouldn't be awake. She knew he was staying here at the Noble mansion now that his father had been assigned to protective duty. Still, the kid was nine years old. He should be sound asleep.

"Declan?" Riley questioned.

The boy broke out in a pointed grin at the sound of his name, his eyes coming to life as he glanced up at her. Riley felt chills run down her spine by how creepy the kid was.

"Why are you at my room?" She mumbled.

"I was curious to learn more about you," he replied.

"At three in the morning?" Riley snapped.

Declan nodded, letting himself into her room. He walked over to her bed, plopping down in the middle of it as he studied her. He looked around the room, noticing that most of these things in here belonged to someone else. This was Anna's old room, but it was next door to Luke's which was why Michael Noble had placed her there. Declan's room was further down the hall next to Wren's while Michael Noble's was on the opposite side of the house close to his study.

"Look, Declan," Riley yawned, "can't you come back at a more reasonable time?"

Declan shook his head in disagreement. Riley sighed, crossing her arms as she studied the weird boy before her. During the day, he had looked so lifeless and dull but now, he looked so alive. She preferred the other personality. This one was really giving her the creeps. She wasn't sure what was going through his mind as he sat on the bed. It was impenetrable to her. Maybe if she was stronger she would have been able to break through his shields but in this weakened state, she could hardly shield her own mind.

"They wouldn't like that, me talking to you," Declan stated.

"Who, your father and Mr. Noble?" Riley questioned.

"Yeah, they think I will be swayed to your side like everyone else. However, I choose my own sides. They think they can control me, but I am stronger than them!" Declan attempted a sly grin, but it only made him look even more terrifying as Riley studied him.

"Then why did you let them capture you and place you in the mental institute? Better yet, why did you willingly come back when they rescued you?" Riley questioned.

"I wanted to meet you. You see, you are the only one to ever beat him in a duel. Thats why I had to see you," Declan replied.

"What?" Riley asked. This kid was making no sense as he spoke in riddles. There was a devilish glint in his eyes as he eyed her, pleased to see she was confused and slightly scared of him.

"I was created for one purpose,"Declan began.

"Wait, hold up? You were created?" Riley interrupted.

Declan yawned as he glared at Riley. She flinched at his cold stare, an unsettling feeling sawing in her gut at the murderous glint he held. The look quickly disappeared as he let out an annoyed sigh contemplating on telling her everything. She might as well know how powerful of Wizards she would be up against.

"To sum it up, children were experimented on, their DNA manipulated to make stronger versions of half breed humans. A lot of women and babies lost their lives in the experiments, however seven of us were born, I being one of them," Declan explained.