Chapter 37

Voisin hadn't been pleased that Kasim and Anna decided to act on their own accord by storming the International Headquarters and busting in on their press conference. Even worse, they had drug Leila and Samir along with them. Ryder and Rachel had returned back to relay everything about what happened to Marcus and Devan.

Because of Kasim and Anna's reckless actions, Voisin had been forced to enact his own plans much faster than anticipated. He needed Theresa and Charlotte rescued and had called in an old friend from retirement to aid in the mission. Jake Ryder was once a powerful force on the Taskforce and part of the elite 8 team before he almost lost his life in the attack that killed Kyle's father and left Theresa unwilling to use magic. Now, he had finally decided to return to the front lines inspired from Kyle's actions to save his friends.

Jake didn't come alone. He brought Emili Svartrop, a cousin to the Fitzgerald's and powerful Elemental wizard with him. Well, she ended up tagging along and was the one that helped push Jake out of hiding. She was a member of the Taskforce that had defaulted to the Resistance and Voisin was glad she had chosen their side. He wouldn't want any of his students going up against the young prodigy in battle. Derek was the only one that would be able to hold his own against her; she was that strong. She was also beautiful with long platinum blonde hair and dark blue eyes, a definite stark contrast to Jake who's once handsome body was burned down one half.

Derek hadn't been pleased that he had to team up with his cousin on a rescue mission. He was even more annoyed that Nikkolai would be accompanying them. Voisin couldn't allow Derek or Nikkolai to be unsupervised. Now that Brie had joined the ranks and worked well with both Wizards, he had to even be more careful. Those three young Wizards were the most reckless of the bunch. However, they were also some of the strongest and best suited for facing Ember Island. Voisin sent Jake Ryder along to supervise and make sure Derek didn't lose control.

Jake had brought a gift with him much to Voisin's annoyance. Of all the dragons he could have chosen, he decided to bring the one that had successfully flown the route to Ember Island before and the one who was already well acquainted with Derek. Since Jasmine had died, the dragon had been uncooperative and borderline deadly. Jake had arrived with the dragon thrashing about in its cage earlier that morning with Emili standing atop the cage, a defiant grin on her face as she woke the whole base up.

The dragon had immediately calmed down when she saw Derek, making Voisin have to let the boy attend the mission. They needed a dragon or way of flight to make way for the island, and it was better to have one already familiar with breaking through the island's protective wards.

Once Voisin had sent them off, he made preparations for the others in his group. He had ended up sending Dean and Ryder to report back to the Irish base and inform them of everything going on. Voisin suspected that Michael would attack their next in retaliation.

Now, he had Kenny, Rachel, and Jude remaining with them where he prepared to inform them of their own difficult and deadly mission. Voisin had noticed that ever since Rachel returned from her visit with the elves, she had resorted to her old habits from the sixth grade. She held a dog shaped keychain in her hands that she kept whispering to. Derek had been on edge ever since she returned.

Ryder had spoken to Voisin in private that night informing him that Kas had spoken to Rachel about her own little demon she had control over as a child. Voisin knew that with the demon's return, he could finally complete the most important mission of this war in his eyes.

Rachel was nervous as she stood next to Kenny, hugging the key chain to her chest as she studied Jude and Voisin before her. Jude was equally as uncomfortable as he nervously continued stealing glances Rachel's way. Kenny was the only one who didn't look surprised as he studied Voisin with wise eyes, ready to know what the plan was.