Chapter 19

Derek wasn't surprised when both his father and Voisin came storming into the hideout back from their mission early after hearing of his actions a few days ago. He was slightly upset they disturbed him from his slumber as his father shook him awake. Derek's whole body was still weak from the over use of his magic and not letting it heal properly after the explosion. It didn't help that his father was only making the aches in his own body worse. Ryder rushed after the man, trying to keep him from disturbing Derek. His father's face was nothing but rage as he peered down at the boy. Great, he was probably grounded for life, yet again.

"ARE YOU INSANE?" His father shouted.

Derek yawned, slowly stretching as he blinked up at his father still half asleep. He really hated when people got in his face like this. Even his own father should know this and respect his boundaries. Then again, he did cause quite a stir at the hospital.

"Sir, please calm down. He is recovering right now," Ryder protested.

Ryder tried tugging Mr. Cleveland back away from Derek. It was no use, his father's temper had been set on his son. Nothing would interfere with that. He elbowed Ryder out of the way as he glared down at Derek.

"No, he could have gotten everyone killed!" His father yelled.

Derek glanced over to see Voisin was lingering in the doorway, a frown lining his face. Derek was glad he was frowning. That was actually normal for Voisin. Derek probably would have been running for the hills if the man had a big fat smile plastered on his face. Still, this was the upset frown and not Voisin's normal, impassive one. Hopefully Voisin would come to the rescue, but his father had a bit of a temper on him and would scream it out before he finally relaxed. Derek knew he just had to endure the persistent man's screams. Thank Merlin for magic. He had been screaming something, but the silencing incantation Derek muttered drowned out his father's nagging.

"Are you even listening to me?" Mr. Fitzgerald screamed shaking Derek.

"Sir, let him rest, please. He finally calmed down again," Ryder pleaded.

"Dean, listen to Ryder. We don't need another repeat of his tantrum," Voisin warned. Mr. Fitzgerald narrowed his eyes, spinning around to glare at Voisin as he released Derek from his grip. Derek took this as an opportunity to curl back up and go back to sleep.

"He needs to be disciplined," Dean Fitzgerald growled. He whirled around, groaning in annoyance at the sight of his son falling back asleep despite all the yelling. "Stupid boy had the nerve to cast a silencer on himself?"

"We will discuss this with him later," Voisin sighed, "my question is how did he take over a demon?"

Mr. Cleveland sighed glancing over and training his attention on Voisin. He ran his hands through his hair in frustration as he studied his old comrade and good friend questioning if the man had put the pieces together. Knowing Voisin, if he knew the truth, he would never reveal it unless it benefited him.

"Voisin, I fear this is a result of that program," Mr. Cleveland sighed. Voisin silently nodded, his eyes furrowing in anger from the memories.

"What program?" Ryder questioned.

"He might as well know, Dean. He witnessed Derek's true strength," Voisin sighed turning to his friend.

"Yes, but we vowed to hide the truth. However, the truth can't stay hidden forever," Dean sighed glancing over towards the very confused Ryder.

"Twenty eight years ago the Council allowed a group of wizards to fuel the evolution of our race. They worked to combine samples of DNA from other species using AI techniques to create stronger wizards knowing the Sorceress's time was coming soon," Voisin explained.