Chapter 24

Derek and his group of the Resistance continued to hold several successful attacks and small raids against Michael Noble's army. Many wizards were beginning to switch over to the Resistance confident that even without the Sorceress, they would be able to end Michael Noble's tyrannical reign. They now held control of the Irish, Canadian, and Brazilian Councils and were close to winning the Egyptian Council.

Luke was impressed from the stories of his friend's in battle. Marcus, Leila, and Derek were the talk of the whole world and their strength and abilities. Leila had learned how to manipulate time to her advantage in battle while Derek was the master manipulator of water. If there was a water source nearby, the battle would be over in a matter of seconds as he drowned his enemies. Marcus was the most spectacular of all, becoming a basic human shield as he manipulated his own healing magic to fix any hit he got in the battle.

Luke's father was growing frustrated, and reckless in his anger. He had increased the security on the hospital. Luke could sense the guards everywhere. Wren had been assigned Luke's personal guard, forced to follow the boy everywhere. His father still wasn't aware of Wren's change of heart, much to Luke's relief. Still, it was pretty lonely living in the hospital now that Anna was still missing along with Kenny and Nikkolai. He heard that Brie switched sides, fighting for the resistance now and Devan was alive and on their side too.

"Guess what, Riles?" Luke muttered as he squeezed her hand, talking to her.

He told her stories of the battles, of her friend's successes and of his favorite memories of them. He also told her about his life. He really just talked about anything to pass the time hoping hearing his voice would help bring her back.

"Christmas is just around the corner. I hope you wake up by then. We can see the lights, and make gingerbread houses. It snowed last night. The whole ground is covered in white outside," he explained. as he smiled down at her.

"Remember, you love the snow!"

Luke recalled back to when he, Derek, and Riley had traveled back in time together and the three of them had camped out in a tent one night in the middle of the woods in their search for Merlin. Riley had been amazed of what the inside of a Wizard tent looked like, twirling around in awe as she observed everything. Derek had showed her how to perform the cast to create a wizard tent while Luke had shown off his cooking skills.

~~~

"Luke, you surprise me. Who knew you could cook?" Riley grinned as she slurped a giant spoonful of the beef stew he created.

"Its just like following a potion," he smirked with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Well, this is decent food. Its almost as good as Erabeth's," Derek teased as he took a big bite of his cornbread.

"Hot, hot, hot!" Derek mumbled as he waved his hand in front of his burning mouth. Riley giggled while Luke fought back a chuckle, shaking his head at his impulsive friend.

"So,I'm bored. This whole lack of technology thing is horrible!" Luke sighed as he ate his stew, so used to having his phone to scroll through to occupy his mind as he would eat his meals.

"There are other ways to pass the time," Riley grinned.

"Oh, are there?" Derek winked.

Riley frowned as she wacked him in the back of the head with her hand causing him to jump. Luke gripped his belly he was laughing so hard, quieting down the moment Riley shot him a look.

"You are so immature," Riley sighed, cracking a small grin at her friends, "I feel like we barely know anything about each other. How about a game of twenty questions?"