Chapter 2

Nikkolai wasn't particularly pleased to be summoned by Michael Noble. He was supposed to be in school, exams were only a few weeks away and he didn't want to risk not getting perfect scores by the amount of times Bethany would have the new International Council Head pull the boy out of class for stupid missions she was to lazy to complete herself.

 Ever since the battle and his emotional outburst back that day when Mr. Noble had moved to take down the Sorceress and her followers once and for all, they had been keeping an extra eye on him and assigning him all the shitty jobs while the rest of the task force actually got decent assignments to waste their time with. 

Nikkolai sighed as he studied the giant wooden doors looming before him, the only things separating him from Michael Noble's sadistic ideas.

Let's see what the psychopath ordered this time.

Shrugging his shoulders, he pushed the doors open knowing if he kept the man waiting any longer he could risk facing punishment which either resulted in utter public humiliation or death. Most likely, it was death and Nikkolai would rather live to see his eighteenth birthday instead of laying six feet under with his brother and mom and possibly younger brother. He wasn't sure what happened to him, yet.

His leader wasn't even paying attention as Nikkolai stormed the room, slightly out of breath. The fool was scrolling through his phone, mumbling curses under his breathe about technology being to complicated.

"Sir, sorry it took me so long, I was in the middle of brewing a potion," Nikkolai stated as he bowed in front of the Council head, sitting atop his self made throne. Michael Noble lifted his head, yawning in boredom as he studied the boy.

"I forget you are still in classes. I'll have them excuse your upcoming absences."

"Upcoming?" Nikkolai questioned. Michael Noble nodded his head in agreement.

"Yes, I have use for you regarding my son." Michael Noble stated.

"I will gladly execute him if that is what you wish," Nikkolai stated, his face turning stone cold as he studied his leader. Michael Noble frowned at the boy shaking his head.

"No, I need him for an heir to the family name, he stays alive for now as long as he continues to obey," he snapped.

"Then what do you need me to do?" Nikkolai questioned.

"Well, he needs company that can actually talk back. I don't need him going crazy holed up in that hospital," Mr. Noble stated, "plus I need a way to keep you protected too."

"Me, protected?"

"Yes, boy. I have just named you as a gate key holder," Michael Noble grinned, tossing a golden key into Nikkolai's hands.

He glanced down, in shock at the key, unsure of why his leader would want him to be a gate holder. He wasn't an Elder nor was he a conjurer. Someone like Wren would be more suitable for the task.

He knew the Resistance were searching for the keys and had already gotten their grimy hands on two of them along with going as far as destroying two of the gates. They were idiots to destroy the portals; Michael Noble had other ways to get to the other realms. Destruction of portals wouldn't slow him down. He had his own elf held captive and Wren had fairy blood running strong through his veins. All he needed was to locate a giant, but being able to access two of the three gates would suffice.

"I know Derek would not be able to easily defeat you. By placing you by Luke's side, he wouldn't risk a full fledged attack if you can gain control of the wizards' minds," Michael Noble explained.