Chapter 5

Derek groaned as he struggled to sit up despite the protests of his spinning head. Every inch of his body was screaming out in pain as he shifted on the bed. Flashing back to the woods, he recalled that stupid devious elf making a guest appearance before blowing up the gate as he was thrown backwards, knocked unconscious. His fingers lingered on the bandages wrapped around his ribs, wincing at the dull ache around the spots of dried blood on the bandages.

 They were Wizards, why didn't someone take the time to heal his wounds? This was just cruel and unusual punishment. Most likely his red headed friend was behind that suggestion. Screw this, he was going to give them all a piece of his mind. Struggling to sit up, he finally made it to where his feet touched the cold concrete ground, wincing as every muscle and bone in his body screamed in protest.

"Not so fast, you are on bed rest," Rachel snapped walking into the makeshift hospital carrying a tray of food.

"Damn, why didn't you heal me?" Derek groaned.

"Sorry, the others came to an agreement for punishment for your reckless behavior," Rachel sighed as she set the food down beside him.

Derek mumbled curses under his breathe, staring up at the ceiling in frustration as he bunched up the sheets in his fists. The lights began to flicker as storm clouds appeared above his head, his powers screaming to be released from all the pent up rage and frustration brewing inside of Derek.

"Its no use to make it rain indoors," Rachel snapped. The storm clouds disappeared as Derek's brown eyes narrowed in on his auburn haired friend.

"Can they not see I am in pain?" He snapped.

"Marcus also described in detail your actions," Rachel blushed.

Derek chuckled shaking his head. He didn't mean any of what he said, he just was playing on Cory's emotions to get what he wanted. He had been doing that a lot more lately since Morgan died.

"Really? You have no shame?" Rachel snapped.

"No, Rachel I don't," Derek growled smirking as she flinched. "Do you want to know why? This is war. Its a fight for survival and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get that vile man off his stolen throne."

"Since he captured your brother, you really have become more reckless in the attacks," Rachel sighed taking a seat next to Derek.

"Honestly, at this point I really don't care. I have nothing left to lose so I am willing to risk everything for the Resistance to win," Derek snapped.

Rachel shook her head, her hazel eyes swelling with tears as she clenched her fists in frustration. "No, Morgan would hate this!" Rachel cried.

"Morgan is dead, and she only decided to forgive me when she was taking her last breathes," Derek replied.

"What about Riley?" Rachel whispered, her voice trembling refusing to believe her friend was dead.

"Riley is gone!" Derek screamed.

"But she could still come back if we have faith," Rachel muttered, "that's the only reason we are still fighting for the hopes that she comes back."

"Well keep clinging to your useless hope, but I'm going to go face reality," Derek muttered as he struggled to stand, wincing at the ache in his ribs.

He slowly stumbled forward, heading towards the exit to the entrance of the cave. Rachel didn't try to follow him, she just let him leave knowing full well it was no use to talk to him. He had become quite difficult to work with lately, and they had seriously been considering taking him and locking him up at the rate he was going. He was causing more destruction than good, but he didn't seem to care at all, blaming himself for everything that had happened to his friends.