Chapter 18

Brie's lungs felt like they were on fire as she struggled to breathe. She didn't expect that dying would feel like this. Shouldn't she feel nothing? Instead, every part of her body ached as sweat beaded her skin, her lungs aching for much needed air.

Great, she died and went to hell, and now was imprisoned under a giant rock. No, not a rock. It was too soft. Slowly she peeked an eye open, gasping at the protective shield radiating from Marcus as he lay unconscious, taking the blunt force of the blast that escaped his shield. Flames were everywhere. The whole foundation was slowly caving in. She wouldn't be able to sit up. The rubble only gave her a couple of inches to shift her body as she struggled to get Marcus to wake up.

"Come on you idiot, we need to get out of here!" She cried as it became harder to breathe.

Smoke was filling her lungs as she clutched her ribs in pain from the coughs racking her body. Marcus grumbled incoherently on top of her. She glanced down at his arms, noticing all the cuts appearing in his flesh. Her fingers traced the cuts, realizing the meaning immediately. She yanked his hood back, his black locks spilling out around his face as she pushed a strand of hair back, seeing her suspicions concerned by the ears he kept hidden.

"You are a fucking elf," she gasped shaking the boy harder.

Her vision was growing spottier. She had only one option left, and she hoped this would work, because her mind was beginning to grow blank. Her thumb paused a few inches above his wrist, in the dips in between his veins right onto the top of a fresh cut.

"Sorry, to whoever you're linked with," she muttered as she squeezed as hard as she could, her eyes rolling int the back of her head unconscious as Marcus's own flew open, a persistent angry nagging voice in his mind ordering him to awaken. Every nerve in his body was on fire.

He glanced down at the unconscious girl realizing his own magic had just attacked her in defense. Oops, sorry about that, but whatever she did really hurt both of them. The sound of falling debris, flames licking out all around wasn't the best thing to wake up too. His body still was emitting a shield, but he wouldn't be able to hold it much longer. He needed to get out of here.

He paused, glancing down at the enemy he was laying on top of conflicting thoughts racing through his mind. It would be easier to leave her behind and escape this building which threatened to bury them. However, he knew he didn't have the heart to leave someone defenseless behind. It would be riskier and her weight would slow him down, but he couldn't leave her to die like this. Screw it, he was taking the girl with him. They could use her for questioning later.

"Chwythe!" Marcus screamed.

With a loud bang, the rocks trapping him and Brie blew apart, giving Marcus room to stand and survey the scene around him. Immediately, his eyes flung towards the direction of the gate, disappointment filling his heart as he saw their one quick escape was inaccessible. The gate was completely buried, the only way out was up.

Scooping Brie up in his arms, Marcus began the long and slow ascent tumbling towards the surface. What remained of bodies were everywhere. It took all he could to keep from doubling over, the smell of burning flesh and the metallic scent of blood making his stomach twist in disgust. So much death surrounded him, so many wizards lost as practically the whole Egyptian Council was wiped out. Marcus extended his mind, searching for survivors in the rubble. He sighed realizing all who remained were dead, there was no saving them. Brie and he were the only conscious ones who remained inside.

Marcus could feel her presence inside him watching everything through his eyes. He felt her pain and the tears she shed realizing that even with her help, they couldn't bring this many  people back from death. They would have to leave them and focus on saving Brie and he. Marcus let her guide him through the rubble, welcoming her with open arms into his mind as she leant her own strength to power his magic.