Chapter 10

Wren winced as he sat up examining the white walls surrounding him. He felt the beeping of the machines, glancing down at all the needles and wires hooked up to his skin. Memories of the battle flashed back as he recalled how easily one boy took out four of Keaton's elite force on top of the reinforcements of about thirty Wizards.

As a half fairy, his magic should have been superior, but still Derek had done all that damage while being able to barely stand on his feet. There was no possible way that boy was human. He didn't resemble the fairies and he was too emotional for an elf. Could he be part giant? No, that was impossible because fairy magic was still stronger. Whatever blood Derek had running through his veins was frightening and Wren hoped never to face him in battle again. If Luke hadn't stepped in, the whole army would have been dead.

His magic had failed him. His demons had betrayed him all while the wild child who had lived in his older brother's shadow as nothing but a trouble maker proved he was not to be taken lightly. He wasn't even aware Derek could control the other Elements. The only spells the boy ever really cast were water spells. He knew of his record in dueling, but what had been witnessed or told in the past didn't compare to that display of monstrous talent that made a high ranking demon even refuse to fight him.

"Oh joy, you are finally awake," Luke sighed as he stood in the doorway wearily eyeing the man.

The boy was looking more haggard since the last time Wren saw him The mischievous sparkle in his eyes were gone, nothing but dullness left behind sunken cheeks and baggy eyes. His raven hair was a tangled mess in need of a trim and Wren could see the boy wasn't eating like he should. No wonder his father sent people to keep an eye on the boy, he was running himself into the grave worrying about his friends and working hard to keep the illusions from touching Riley's mind.

"Don't sound so enthused," Wren sarcastically replied, "by the way you look like shit."

Luke smirked, waltzing into the room and taking a seat in the chair by Wren's bedside, responding, "Well hello to you too. I'd expect a little more gratitude from the man who saved your life along with all of my father's other idiotic followers."

"Then why'd you save us if you can't stand us?" Wren questioned.

"Because, I couldn't allow Derek to take so many lives. He would never forgive himself once he realized what he had done," Luke sighed.

Luke's mind flashed back to his childhood, recalling that tragic day that he witnessed the death of another boy at Derek's hands. His best friend was distraught once he finally realized what had happened. They ended up having to hospitalize him for the rest of the summer under the care of trained healers of the Council to keep an eye on him. It was a depressing Summer, that was for sure. Nikkolai's family ended up moving to New York leaving Luke all alone for the summer, with a grieving Anna who began her wild partying stage with Devan and Ryder tagging along.

By the time Derek returned to school in August, he was in a drug induced haze, the result of pills given to him to suppress his abilities. It wasn't until sixth grade started that he began to start skipping doses, before stopping the pills all together realizing his magic was now weak because of the drugs. Luke began middle school, the stronger of the two Wizards, but Derek soon began to show he was stronger as the years progressed as he got the magical suppressants out of his system. Now, Luke realized that no trace of the suppressants were left in his best friend's system and his full potential could finally be displayed.

"Are you implying that he wasn't aware what he was doing?" Wren questioned listening in on Luke's thoughts.

Luke nodded his head, recalling back to the battle. Derek could barely stand with all those broken ribs, but something turned off within him as his emotions took over. His eyes weren't the same, they were filled with nothing but rage and desperation, a look Luke hadn't seen in years in his friend. The slumbering beast within the boy awoke for that brief time period, his magic completely consuming him as he wreaked havoc.