Chapter 35

Leila wasn't a big fan of switching missions, but after news came in that they had a traitor, Samir was able to convince Voisin to have their team go after Dalia. She rather would have preferred not to return to Egypt. She had grown used to the cold weather and now was thrust back into the heat again.

Ryder and Rachel looked equally uncomfortable as they used their magic to swap their winter coats for shorts and t-shirts. Samir was the only one unaffected by the heat. He did grow up in Cairo, so he was used to it.

Samir lead them to the mansion of the head of the Council, disarming the guards in one fell swoop. "He's really making our job easy," Rachel whispered.

"He's on a mission," Ryder replied as he eyed the boy. Samir ignored them as he swung the doors of the mansion open.

He was familiar with Dalia's home. Her family had taken him in as a child after his own parents had perished on a mission with the task force at the age of four. Knowing that Dalia could easily betray his friends angered him, and he wanted to give her a piece of his mind. She was lucky nobody died in the attack.

"Samir," Leila warned.

She sighed as Samir barreled forward. One look to his family's servants and they quickly stepped down, stopping their attack to let the Wizards pass. Samir stormed up the stairs, pausing outside a gold door, furiously banging until it was swung open. He didn't wait for formalities before he had her pinned up by the wall, his wand against her throat.

"Why?" He snarled.

"They said they were going to kill everyone," Dalia cried.

"That's no excuse, they were your friends!" Samir yelled.

"I couldn't lose my family," Dalia whimpered.

She gulped as she noticed Samir wasn't alone. Dalia lifted her chin forcing her throat closer towards Samir's wand so it was pressing into her skin. She let out a sigh of defeat as her voice barely broke from a whisper.

"Kill me, I deserve it after what I did."

Leila took a step forward grabbing Samir's wrist. She shook her head at her friend as she silently urged him to lower his wand from Dalia's throat.

"We will not kill you."

Dalia's face fell in shock as she glanced up at Leila. Samir released his hold on Dalia taking a step back to stand beside Leila as he glared at his childhood friend. "However, we can't trust you, either. I'm sorry, but we will have to wipe your memory."

"Huh?" Ryder and Rachel questioned.

Leila slowly raised her wand, pointing it at Dalia's face. Dalia flinched as Leila fired the spell, before slumping to the floor unconscious. Leila looked down at the girl, sighing as she turned to Samir.

"You can stay, or come with us. She will be fine here with her memory gone," Leila explained.

"Why did you wipe her memory? We were supposed to detain her!" Samir protested.

Leila shook her head. Voisin had only suggested detainment. However, he told Leila that Samir could not make the proper judgement at a time like this while Ryder was too soft hearted and Rachel probably wasn't the best decision maker. He left the final punishment to Leila's discretion.

Honestly, she had planned on killing the girl. Samir would never forgive her if she did. The next best alternative was to make Dalia forget the Resistance all together. Any encounter she had with them up until that day they met was completely erased from her memories. Her Uncle would have no use for this girl any longer now that his focus was on Riley. He botched killing Chelsea and Nathan, but had Riley's mom instead along with the demon child. Right now, Michael had the upper hand.