Chapter 7

Derek appeared outside of the hospital with Ryder and Rachel flanking either side of him smirking at the party already waiting for him. Wren stood center, blocking the entrance with Zain and Lineas on either side of him attempting to look intimidating. To bad he could probably take these three out in one blow if he really put in the effort.

"Really, is this all they could send for a supposed rescue mission, or is this some joke?" Wren chuckled.

Ryder wasn't much of a defensive spell caster and barely held his own last time he battled against Keaton's team. The auburn haired girl was a necromancer and mentalist, but she wasn't the strongest of her peers. Derek was probably the strongest, but he could barely stand as he glared back at Wren, half bent over from the agonizing pain of his protesting ribs.

"I thought it would be fun to finally battle another Elementalist, but this one looks like shit." Zain frowned.

"Don't judge based off his looks, there is still power radiating from him." Lineas sighed as he glanced down at the small circular patch of dying Earth around Derek's feet.

"I think I'll sit this round out and observe, Zain and Lineas you guys can have fun." Wren grinned.

Wren turned his back, walking back indoors to where Luke was waiting. Luke stood at the entrance, watching his friends, slightly surprised at their choices to stage a rescue mission for Riley. Derek was a powerhouse, but where was Marcus and Leila or Voisin? Were they planning a decoy? Then again, Derek most likely acted on his own rushing to the hospital at signs of the spell with Rachel and Ryder following along to put a stop to him. Everyone else must have been out on missions.

"Stay back, I told you guys I could handle this myself." Derek ordered.

"But, Derek-" Rachel cried.

"Rachel, do as he says. Preserve our strength we may need it." Ryder interrupted as his mind flashed to the future. Rachel nodded, biting her lip in frustration as she eyed Derek who was sizing up his opponents.

Derek locked eyes on Luke, letting out a wicked grin as he stumbled forward facing off against the other two Elementalists. Zain held his wand out, summoning fire from his own wand and other hand, two glowing orbs as he took a fighting stance while Lineas raised his wand to the sky, generating a forcefield of wind around himself to use as both a weapon and shield.

Derek scrambled around, trying to find his wand, frowning when he realized Marcus still had the stupid thing. "Let me show you how a real Elementalist fights." Derek grinned.

Lightning crackled in the sky, as Derek's aura extended out, pulling in magic surrounding him feeding off of the elements as his eyes narrowed in on his opponents. Lineas gulped before charging forward in a combined attack with Zain in an attempt to overtake the boy. Fire and Wind spiraled towards him only to be overtaken by his own water spell as it absorbed the other two elements into a giant orb of energy in one large boom. The earth shook as the other bystanders dove for cover, watching in shock at three very gifted Wizards going into battle.

Even weakened, Derek was evenly matched. Full strength, he would have probably taken them out in one blow. Derek frowned once the magic dissipated to see that both foes were still standing. He was hoping he could have at least taking one of them out in one blow, but unfortunately he was still not strong enough.

"Guess that's not going to work." Derek sighed as he wobbled again on his feet, the energy taking his toll.He closed his eyes, muttering a summoning incantation to steal his wand back from wherever Marcus had hidden it, grinning as the familiar wood appeared in his grip. Now, he could really play.

Derek needed more life-force energy to restore his magic and the plants weren't cutting it anymore. He winced as Lineas fired a wind spell before he could counteract, gasping for air as he stumbled back. Zain barely gave Derek time to react as he fired a long whip of flame towards the boy in an attempt to ensnare him in flaming ropes. Derek let the flames hit his forearm, using his own magic to send the flames spiraling into a nearby building. Bricks crumbled to the ground from the force of the blast as the building went up in flames.