Chapter 34

After the chaos of the press conference died down, Michael informed everyone he would be returning to London for Council business the next two days leaving Stryker in charge of the mansion's security. Riley had broken down into tears, shortly after his departure, rushing up and locking herself in her room. Well, Anna's old room. Luke spent the remainder of the evening repeatedly trying to enter only to be shut out from Riley. He sat against her door, listening to her sobs, debating on trying again or not.

His mind flashed back to the night before Anna's death and how she had a screaming match with father over her failing grades. His father had left for Council business the following day, schedule to be gone for a couple of days and Luke had returned home from school the next afternoon to find his sister dead. Luke clenched his fists against the rug lining the hallway fighting back his own tears. Chelsea and Nathan were gone. He couldn't lose Riley too.

"Riley, please open up!" Luke begged.

He heard her sniffling as she moved. He jumped at something hitting the door, the loud thud shaking the frame. Riley had resorted to throwing stuff to try and get him to leave.

"Still no use?" Wren questioned.

Luke jumped at the boy appearing out of nowhere. He had let his guard down and stupid Cosmo was able to sneak up on him. Luke shook his head as he eyed the door. Wren reached out his hand which Luke eyed wearily.

"Come on, I have news for you, please follow me," Wren sighed.

Luke frowned as he nodded, letting the man help him up. He followed Wren into the family library. Wren walked over, taking a seat on one of the couches. Luke followed, sitting in the loveseat across from him.

The library had been a place he had spent much of his elementary school years in with private tutors training him in wizardry. His father had a massive collection of books, both dark and light magic that Luke had familiarized himself with over the years. In the center of it all, set the family Grimoire, or what should have been the family Grimoire. Unfortunately, his father destroyed it to make it easier to kill Kenny catapulting this war they were now in.

Luke eyed the empty case, wishing he could hold his hands on the Grimoire he missed so much. They still hadn't been able to locate Riley's Grimoire after the raid on the Cleveland's mansion. From countless searches, the Grimoire remained unfound. Even the Resistance didn't have their hands on it. Luke wished he had the book knowing the extensive amount of spells that only Riley had possession of were written among its pages. He would have his hands on the Resurrection spell that could safely bring Chelsea and Nathan back to life.

"He dazed out," a voice said.

Luke jumped as he was pulled from his thoughts, glaring at the demon peering in his face. He smacked the thing back, letting out an annoyed snort as his blue eyes narrowed in on him in suspicion. Amon only smirked as he took a seat across from Luke beside Wren. Wren rolled his eyes at his demon's antics, shooting Luke a worried glance.

"Luke, Amon has news for us," Wren sighed.

"What does the demon want to share?" Luke snapped.

"Well, it seems there unfortunately were no casualties on the side of the Resistance," Amon sighed.

"Wait, unfortunately? Huh? You mean? They survived!" Luke rambled as he jumped up in shock.

Amon smirked as he nodded his head. "You better not be playing me, demon."

"If you recall, demons don't lie. We may hide the truth, but no lies will ever spurt from my mouth," Amon stated.

Luke looked over at Wren with hopeful eyes. If what Amon was saying was true, then Chelsea and Nathan were alive. Kyle even survived. By some miracle, or probably Marcus; everyone was able to be saved. Riley had to know! He needed her to have a little hope. Even if her mom was a captive, she still could have some hope with the news of her friends' survival.