Chapter 32

Riley barely had time to process her mother's capture before she was getting tugged along to a separate room by a group of Wizards who began poking and prodding her as they prepared her hair and makeup. Hands swarmed her from every direction as they rushed to get her ready for the press conference. She had five minutes to spare by the time they had finished making her fit to look like a Noble.

Riley sighed as she studied herself in the mirror, eying the perfectly sculpted face and manicured nails. Not a single strand of her golden hair was out of place as it fell in loose curls on her shoulders. They had dressed her in a royal blue skater style dress with a scalloped trim and half sleeve with a pair of heels to make her taller and black insulated tights to fight off the winter air. A small heart shaped diamond necklace had been placed around her neck to offset her diamond ring. Riley sighed, realizing she actually looked like an adult here and not the young teen she truly was.

Luke stood waiting outside her bedroom door, slouched against the wall. He glanced up at Riley with a sad smile that didn't reach his eyes as he offered her his arm to escort her down to the grand entrance of his mansion.

Riley stumbled a bit in her heels, blushing as Luke caught her weight. He didn't even smirk in amusement as she glanced over at his face. Usually, he would have shown amusement for her folly. Now, his face was just an emotionless slate as he wallowed in his grief over the loss of Chelsea and their friends.

"Luke," Riley whispered.

"Come on, father would not be pleased if we are late," Luke snapped as he forcefully tugged her along, picking up his pace.

Riley struggled to keep up against his long strides in her heels. She hated wearing heels and secretly believed they were the devil's creation. She never could appear graceful in them, no matter how hard she tried. With her luck, she'd end up face planting as Luke walked them down the spiraling grand staircase towards the press below.

She let out a small smile as she locked her gaze on the press standing in the room. Michael Noble stood at the foot of the stairs, an angry glare on his face as he watched the engaged couple walk down the stairs in their color coordinated outfits. Stryker stood to Michael's left acting as Michael's body guard. Declan stood next to Stryker with his usual glazed look in his eyes.

Wren was standing in the back corner, his arms crossed as he glanced over in boredom at the commotion. Riley noticed that some other well known Wizards representing the International Council were also present. She didn't know their names, but recalled reading about them in Magic Law, immediately recognizing their faces.

"Now that the Sorceress and my son have arrived, we can begin with my announcement," Michael Noble stated as he addressed the small crowd of Wizards gathered in his home.

"I apologize for my tardiness, its still hard for me to move swiftly after just awakening," Riley sighed as she leant in towards Luke.

Luke, don't look so glum. They will suspect something, Riley ordered as she projected her thoughts into Luke's mind.

Luke forced a smile as he pressed his lips against Riley's ear, his voice a low whisper as he spoke, "you better be glad you are pretty or I wouldn't agree to this so easily."

Riley tried to hide her frustration as she glanced up at Luke. He had turned off his emotions again. She recalled back to the trial and the last time she had seen his face appear so terrifying. Of course, he wanted to protect Chelsea back then and had to pretend not to care for her.

Now, Luke had no one he needed to protect besides Riley. There was no reason for him to be so cold or to take his grief out on her. She was equally as upset, but they didn't have time to grieve. They had to push forward and fight to stay alive until they found a way to stop Michael Noble.