Chapter 9

Nikkolai smirked as he observed both younger and older Anna and their almost identical movements as they reapplied sunscreen to themselves. Younger Anna frowned as she struggled to reach her back, twisting at odd angles trying to reach every inch of skin on her back to protect her fair skin from the sun's harsh rays. Devan swooped in to her rescue, practically shoving Ryder out of the way to come to her aid.

"Here, let me," Devan smiled.

He reached around, leaning in close to Anna as he took the sunscreen bottle out of her hands, squirting the white liquid onto his hands. Younger Anna's cheeks reddened as he slowly massaged the sunscreen into her shoulders. She glanced over to the boys playing, suddenly remembering they needed sunscreen too.

"Luke, you need to reapply sunscreen!" She screamed.

Luke stuck his tongue out at his sister as he continued playing in the sand with young Nikki and Derek. They were in the process of constructing a rather impressive sand castle that now stood at three feet in height. Most of the day, they had been working on this masterpiece, determined to build the biggest sandcastle ever.

"Boys, listen to Anna and come here!" Ryder ordered.

The three boys came running over to get more sunscreen. They always listened to Ryder over their own siblings. Older Anna frowned as she continued to struggle to reach the spot on her back turning to Kenny and Nikkolai, silently pleading for help.

"Don't expect me to rub sunscreen on your back. My hands will only touch Riley's bare skin." Kenny mumbled as he flipped through a book he had conjured detailing ancient wards and spells long forgotten that he found enjoyable to read as he translated the Old Gaelic tongue.

"Really, Kenny? You are reading a book instead of keeping watch?" Nikkolai sighed.

"According to the clock, we have about an hour before the incident occurs. Until then, I am going to enjoy my book," Kenny snapped.

Nikkolai rolled his eyes as he assisted Anna with her sunscreen feeling awkward touching her skin. She was beautiful, but he still saw her like Luke's older sister and his older brother's crush. Plus, she could be terrifying when she wanted to be.

Nikkolai, stop blushing. Is it really that awkward to touch me? You are just applying sunscreen you stupid child.

"Shutup, Anna," Nicholai snapped. He stormed back to his chair, falling back into a sitting position with his upper lip stuck out and arms crossed as he glared at Anna.

"Anna is right, you really are acting like a child," Kenny smirked as he turned a page in his book, never lifting his eyes from the pages.

"At least I wasn't afraid to touch her!" Nikkolai snapped.

"I am not afraid to touch her, I just don't believe in rubbing lotion on the back of someone who isn't my girlfriend," Kenny muttered, his voice trailing off as a passage in the book caught his eyes.

Anna's eyes darted over to Kas who was walking away from the past versions of themselves and back towards the beach home. She completely forgot about the arguing boys, her attention completely on Kas as she slipped on her bathing suit coverup, standing up to follow Kas. This was the time to act. She had to get him to drink the potion in order to keep him from dying.

"Anna, where are you going?" Nikkolai questioned.

Kas is heading to the house. Now is the time to give him the potion.

"Let me come too!" Nikkolai cried jumping up. Kenny tugged the boy back down shaking his head.

"No, stay here. He would be more likely to trust Anna if she is alone without your ugly face interfering," he snapped.