Chapter 12

*Please note the following chapter may be a trigger warning dealing with topics of depression and suicide. 

Derek groaned, struggling to open his eyes. His head felt heavy and every single part of his body ached. Did a freaking freight train run him over? That is what if felt like, but he couldn't recall what happened. All of his memories were a blurry mess after the second gate destruction.

He yelped as a hand slapped his cheek, a very angry red head glaring down at him, her green eyes piercing into his soul. She hadn't looked this furious in a while and it terrified him.

"Chelsea?" Derek cried. "What was that for?"

"What was that for?" She snapped, her voicing shrill in anger. Derek winced at the sound wishing she would take it down a few octaves.

"Chels, lay off," Kyle sighed, "he doesn't remember."

"I'll make him fucking remember!" Chelsea screamed as she grabbed Derek's collar, pulling him towards her face.

Kyle's hand pushed in between them forcing Chelsea to let go of her chokehold. Derek fell back against the pillows with a loud plop, the springs of the cheap twin sized bed creaking against his weight.

"Please, Chelsea, your emotions are to much to handle," Kyle muttered as he rubbed his temples.

Chelsea frowned, studying Kyle. Her friend was in pain, sensing everything she was feeling. Sweat lined his face from the strain to keep his magic in check, feeding off her emotions to fuel its power. She nodded, taking a step back, crossing her arms as she glared at Derek.

"Thanks buddy from saving me from Spice here," Derek grinned.

Kyle didn't crack a smile as he studied Derek, removing his glasses for a better look at Derek's aura. It was its normal midnight blue shade, not a hint of black or red remaining.

"You went on a rampage," Kyle sighed, "and risked Ryder and Rachel's lives in the process."

Derek frowned, remembering flashes of the past. There was a light shooting from the sky before his determination to save Riley. After that, everything was so distorted and mixed up he had no idea what was real and what he imagined. He frowned, recalling the last time he had been that bad. It had resulted in someone's death. No, he couldn't be a murderer again to one of his friends.

"I didn't kill anyone, did I?" Derek sobbed as he remembered in flashes of water swirling around him as he used it to be the ultimate murder weapon all those years ago.

"Is he ok?" Chelsea asked.

Derek had grown pale, sweat beading his skin. His face was twisted in torment and his breathing increased as he recalled that devastating childhood memory he so wished he could just forget.

"PTSD," Kyle sighed, "he's remembering something."

"Kas, I'm sorry!" Derek sobbed.

"Kas?" Chelsea questioned.

"Of course, that explains why Nikkolai despises you. I heard the stories his brother drowned," Kyle muttered unsurprised by the revelation.

"But, Derek was only seven," Chelsea argued.

"His magic really is powerful." Ryder sighed, appearing in the doorway as he eyed the boy.

"Ryder, where's Rachel?" Derek cried.

"Right here, you jackass," Rachel snapped appearing behind Ryder.

Derek sighed in relief, glad to see everyone was ok. He didn't kill any of them despite the apparent blackout, several hours lapsing from his memories.