Chapter 2

Katie tapped her fingers against her desk as she stared up at the news, a hard glare on the screen. She shook her head, "It's her first time really doing any of this."

"The people don't care."

"Miracle or menace? That's what the citizens of National City are asking themselves after the latest attempt at heroics by Supergirl left the bay facing an ecological disaster."

Katie stood when she noticed Kara walking into the room, "Kara!"

Winn quickly scrambled to her side, but recoiled in an instant, "Oh, God, is that smell you?"

"Three showers and I still reek of burning oil. I went from superhero to eco-terrorist in a single bound."

Katie releases a sigh, "Kara, hey, hey. You're just, like, a week into this superhero thing, you're going to make some mistakes."

Winn chuckles, "Like, when you first started working here and Cat asked you to get her lunch and you went to Chipotle."

Kara dropped her stuff on her desk, "Yeah, except now I'm making mistakes in front of the whole world."

"Forget about Supergirl's lack of experience, I'm talking about the trouble she'll bring to National City." The three look up at the screen, Katie rolling her eyes when she saw who was speaking, "Look at Metropolis. Since Superman's arrival, a veritable super bad guy war has been waged on that city. Their maintenance budgets have quadrupled. National City does not need Metropolis' problems."

"Who cares what that guy says?"

"You do." Katie and Kara state in unison, both giving Winn an annoyed expression.

Katie leaned against her desk, "Isn't Maxwell Lord your personal hero?"

"I own a couple Maxwell Lord watches and his biography." Winn shrugs.

"Mmhmm."

"And his... autobiography..."

"Yeah." Katie drags out, "Not a fanboy?"

"Shut up."

"She's here."

Winn nods, "Well, at least now I know how you do that."

Katie laughs, turning her attention to Kara, who was currently using her powers to heat up Miss Grant's coffee, "Kara."

Kara gave her a nervous smile, "It's fine." She quickly went over to Cat, "Here is your latte, Ms. Grant."

Katie messed with her fingers, watching as Cat drank her coffee, "It's hot."

"Just how you like it."

"A concern you didn't seem to share before today. Content meeting, two minutes, my office." She paused and faced Katie, "Kathy-"

"Katie."

Cat glared at her, "My office as well, you're a part of the meeting today."

Katie's eyes widen, "Really?"

"Yes, really, or I wouldn't be saying it."

Katie shared the enthusiastic smile with Kara, "Of course, yes, I-uh, thank you, Miss Grant."

Kara pulls at Katie's hand, bringing her into the office. Katie took in her surroundings, she wasn't in that room quite often, so she wanted to be familiar with the environment. She gaped at how many TVs were on the walls, there was probably twenty or more on the wall.

"We're all aware of Supergirl's latest debacle, yes?"

"She made sure no one will surf National City for the next 10,000 years. Some hero."