Chapter 22

Katie gripped tightly to her brother's hand when she caught sight of the doll, "I love you. Do you love me? I love you. Do you love me?"

Winn let got of Katie's hand to pick up the doll, looking at the weird looking thing. Katie followed behind him, "Dad?"

Katie and Winn turn a corner to see their father standing feet away from them, "God, look at the two of you."

Winn sighs, slowly walking closer to him, "You need to turn yourself in."

Their father laughs, "I broke out of prison for you, for us. I'm sorry I was gone so long."

Katie tightens her hands into fists, "You need a doctor, okay? You need some help."

"My daughter." He smiled at her, "My good little girl. My greatest work."

Katie scoffs, taking the two from Winn, "I thought this was your greatest work." She tosses it in front of her father.

"We're the same, you and I. We're linked. Together we can do anything."

Winn grabbed Katie's arm, pulling her close to him, "We are... we are not the same."

"That genius that lesser people call madness. That's inside of you too." He tilts his head, "Why didn't you visit me? I just wanted to know that the two of you were okay."

"We were not okay." Katie says softly, "We watched our dad get dragged off to prison when we were 11 for murder. How okay could we be after that, Dad?"

Winn turned around when all the soldiers came into the room, "Whoa, whoa, it's okay. It's okay!"

"Hands where I can see them, now!"

"Easy!" Winn yells at them.

"I said hands up!"

Katie looked at her father, "Damn it, Dad, put your hands up!"

"Katie, how could you?" This was directed toward his baby girl, his little daughter. She used to be a daddy's girl, she loved her father, she loved watching him work on toys. But then he killed people, and he was acting like she betrayed him.

"Suspect not cooperating. Weapons free-"

"No!" Winn screams, grabbing Katie away from the gunfire, "No!" Katie watched as the bullets hit her father, but he was cracking like glass. Soon it all tumbled down.

Katie pointed, "What the... It's not him. He's not here."

"I told you to come alone. Now run."

Katie looked down at the toy, "What?"

The voice got angrier this time, more demanding, "RUN!"

Winn's head shot up when poisonous gas began to leak out of the stuffed elephant toys, he grabbed Katie, trying to get out of the building. Everyone coughed violently, along with Katie. This wasn't a form of radiation that she could absorb. Kara and Leah flew in, looking over at them. They sucked in all the gas then flew out. Everyone piled out of the arcade, Katie coughed when she got outside, covering her mouth.

"He specifically asked you to come to this arcade? Does your father have some sort of plan for you?"

"I don't know."

"He said, "I broke out of prison for you, for us." What does that mean?"

"I don't know," Winn repeated.

Agent Chase moved her head to look at Katie, "He called you his "greatest work." And he said, "Together we can do anything.""

Katie scoffs, glaring up at the woman, "He's crazy. I mean, I don't even know why you're writing all this stuff down. It doesn't make any sense." Agent Chase was called away, but her eyes stayed on Katie.