Chapter 24

Kara came running over to Katie, tugging on her sweater, "Katie, we need to go now."

"What?" Katie was being pulled away from her seat and onto the roof of the building, "Kara-"

Once Kara knew no one could hear, she turned to Katie, "Senator Crane, she's the White Martian-well-she was taken by the white Martian and the white martian took her form-"

"What!" Katie screams, "We need to go to the DEO now!"

"Where is Leah?"

"She's with Winn... you know..."

"Ew." Kara flew up in the air, leaving her clothes behind in an area of the roof, "We can take the White Martian on our own, come on."

Katie pulled her bracelet off, lighting her clothes on fire, flying after Kara, "I hope everyone is okay."

"They will be."

Katie flew in after Kara, looking at everyone who has fallen. She landed in front of Alex and Hank while Kara shot the White Martian with her heat vision. Katie turned to them, "You guys okay?"

"Yeah, we're fine."

Katie turned when she heard after being thrown in the air. She balled fire in her hands, throwing it at the White Martian, but it jumped out of the way and escaped. Kara landed in front of Katie, "You stay here with Alex and Hank, they need you."

Katie kneels down next to Alex, helping her up, "I'm sure she'll be fine."

Alex huffs out, her eyes moving to J'onn, but then they heard Kara in their coms, "Alex, it's fled. Again."

Alex sighs, holding down on her comm, "I'll work on a plan with Hank and Katie. Keep your eyes open." Katie followed behind Hank and Alex, "Hank. J'onn."

"I should have known..."

Katie pushes her hair from her face, "This isn't your fault."

"If I hadn't pushed you to use your powers, none of this would have happened." Alex releases a loud groan, running her hand down her face.

"But it did. And now members of my team are dead because of me. This is my war, not Earth's."

"Not anymore." Katie spoke up, putting a hand on her hip, "You're not alone in this. I am so sorry for what happened to your planet. I can't imagine what that feels like. But together, we're gonna protect this one."

Hank actually had tears in his eyes as he looked up at Alex and Katie, "It wasn't just my planet... We fought back. We'd known war. But not like this. White Martians had been toiling underground, building weapons of death. Fire traps. Their technology overwhelmed us. There was no honor in how they fought. They herded us into camps. I swore no matter what, I would protect my family. We would survive. But when we got through the gates, they took the women and children. Men were forced into labor. The others went to the furnace. My wife and daughters burned. I escaped. I survived. To my great shame. I will hear my family's screams until the day I die." Katie covered her mouth, looking down.

Alex went over to Hank, she had tears in her eyes as well, "Look at me." She sighs heavily, "J'onn, look at me." Hank was shuddering, trying to be strong and hold back tears, "There's no shame in surviving. If your family would have lived, you wouldn't want them to be ashamed."

"But they didn't. And now I've let another one of their butchers kill again." Hank breathed in deeply, "I have to stop it."

🎆~🎆~🎆~🎆~🎆

Winn laid down on his side, caressing Leah's hair as she slept next to him. She smiled, rolling over, waking up, "Sorry, did I wake you?"

"No." Leah yawns, curling up next to him, "I was just thinking."