Chapter 16

Leah looked at her mother, her body dropping to the floor as Kara fought off the men. She couldn't move, she never thought she'd see her mother again. When she heard Kara's cry, her head shot up, and she attacked the person touching her cousin. An arm flew around her, forcing her movements to halt. Her mother moved close to them, waving a glowing green blade in their faces. Kara felt a wave of fatigue hit her, but nothing happened to Astra, "Why doesn't kryptonite hurt you?"

"Kryptonite?" Astra chuckles, "Is that what you call it? It's just like any other dangerous substance." Kara and Leah are pushed away, making them grunt, "Shield yourself in the right materials and it becomes harmless."

"Afraid of a fair fight." Kara weakly says, worried about Leah, who hasn't spoken since Astra arrived.

"I don't want to fight you, Kara. I've been blaming you for things that happened a long..." Astra went to touch her daughter, but Kara snapped down at her.

"Don't touch her!"

"Your mother always said you had the heart of a hero. I need for you to be a hero, Kara. It's time for us to be a family again."

"You're not my family."

"I know you hate me."

"Good." Kara grabs Leah, "We understand each other." She pulls her over the ledge and falls into the earth, underground and flees.

🎆~🎆~🎆~🎆~🎆

Leah walked beside Kara, still absolutely silent, "Astra's back and she's up to something. And she has your Kryptonite knife."

"You didn't get that back by any chance?" Kara gave him a look. Henshaw snapped his fingers, "I really like that knife."

"Wait a minute. So the Kryptonite wasn't affecting her? How can that be?"

"Oh, that's more awesome news. She has created a suit that makes her invulnerable to it." Kara groans out, giving Leah another worried glance.

"That changes the game. Why'd she attack you now, after all this time?"

Leah finally looked up, staring over at Kara, but still kept silent. "She's recruiting us for her crazy cause, whatever it is. She said Earth needs both of us. But according to the A.I. of my mother, Astra's idea of helping people on Krypton was blowing up government buildings, so..."

"She wants the two of you off the board." Henshaw states, "This could be the beginning of what we've feared since Fort Rozz first crashed on Earth, a city-wide attack."

"I'll head out now."

"No, wait a minute." Alex stopped Kara, not even having to stop Leah, who just stood, staring blankly at them, "You need at least a few hours of rest to recover."

"Now is not the time to big sister me, okay?"

Henshaw moves to Kara, "You're no good to anyone if you go out there weakened and she kills you. Go home. Sleep. Knock her on her ass another day."

"Will you stop handling me? It's my job to stop her..."

"No, it's not." Alex cuts her off, "It's Hanks. Tomorrow. Come in and we'll spar to make sure you're ready, okay?"

Leah finally spoke up when Hank walked off, "I think I'll go home and sleep."

Kara brought Leah in for a hug, "I know it's hard seeing her again, I'll see you tomorrow."

Leah flies home, walking slowly into her shared apartment, noticing that Winn had fallen asleep on the couch, most likely waiting for her to get home. She gives him a soft smile, walking over and sat next to him, cuddling into his chest, still in her suit. Winn stirs in his sleep, looking down and grinned at her, "Hey, honey."