Chapter 36

"Director Henshaw, I need to talk to you please."

Katie walks beside him, "Yeah, something bad has happened to Kara."

"We know. She was acting strangely. Distracted. We thought it was personal at first, but then she let an alien fugitive escape."

"Wait." Katie pauses, "She let it go?"

Hank breathes in, "Pull up the missions Supergirl has run in the last 48 hours."

"The fire."

"Run a thermodynamic scan."

"Look at the radiation signature." Alex says, "That's kryptonite."

"Not exactly. It's synthetic. It's manmade."

Katie stared at the screen, "Well, it's close to the real thing, but whoever made it, didn't get it quite right."

James glanced at her, "Meaning what?"

"It's not damaging her on a cellular level. But it could explain the erratic behavior. Who the hell would make Kryptonite?"

"Yeah, that's my bad."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Katie groans out, her eyes falling on Maxwell Lord.

"Come on. This isn't necessary. I came here to help." Alex shoved him into one of the cells, "I didn't even know Kryptonite was a thing."

"Until we showed you."

"When we took down Bizarro."

"I went through all that trouble to create her, when all this time, right in front of me, was a substance whose sole molecular purpose was to kill Kryptonians. Sort of ironic."

James shook his head, "You're out of your mind."

"I'm only practical. Non and his army will return. Soon. So, I took matters into my own hands."

"You've recreated Kryptonite."

"Tried to." Max corrects Alex, "I just didn't get it right."

"The satellite on that rooftop was yours." Katie pointed at him, "You set a trap for Non."

"The fire, that was an accident. I never meant to endanger any firefighters, any civilians. Not even Supergirl."

James glared at him, "So, you figured if you booby-trapped a satellite, then your Kryptonite would kill Non just in case you went to go check on it?"

"It didn't work exactly as planned."

"It never does with you."

"I didn't know Supergirl would show up or that be she's affected by the synthetic K in such a surprising-"

"You're right." Katie snapped, "You just thought it would kill her."

"When I realized Supergirl had been exposed, I started tracking her to see what the Red Kryptonite would do to her. I saw her let the alien escape. I didn't know what to think. And then tonight, she threw Cat Grant off her building."

"She killed Miss Grant?" Katie questions, her face twisting in shock, voice rising.

"No. Cat has nine lives. She's fine."

"But Supergirl isn't."

"I'm sorry, Alex. I came in to make this right. I created Red Kryptonite. Maybe I can create an antidote."

"You better hope so, for National City's sake. Because you just turned Supergirl into the monster you always feared she'd be."

🔥~🔥~🔥~🔥~🔥