Chapter 32

Katie inhaled deeply, rubbing her head as Hank spoke, "Black star alloy. That kind of technology, this guy's definitely not from around here."

"So why is he killing other aliens?" Kara asks, putting her hands on the table.

"These victims aren't just being killed." Alex adds in, her arms crossing over her chest, "They're being executed."

"And they're all from Fort Rozz." Kara sighs loudly, "That professor he took seemed harmless enough."

Hank pulled out his tablet, reading the profile out loud, "Real name Luzano. Drug smuggler, until your mother put him away."

"Not the week for you to discuss my family." Katie got silent, her eyes flickering between Hank and Kara. She took note that Kara seemed to be taking Astra's death harder than Leah did.

"I'll start questioning our Fort Rozz criminal alumni again."

Alex nodded, wanting the tension to be broken as soon as possible, "Anything we get we'll cross-reference with the weapons left at the scene."

Agent Vasquez walked over to Kara, "Ma'am. Excuse me. There's someone asking to see you."

"Can we tell Max Lord that I'm not at his beck and call?"

Agent Vasquez pursed her lips, "That's not who wants to see you."

Katie looked at the guards as they escorted James in, she gave him a small smile of acknowledgment, which he returned with a curt nod, but his gaze was directed at Kara. Kara tugged at her bracelet again, looking over at Hank's retreating form. She noticed how Alex, especially Alex, seemed to really dislike Kara's harsh attitude toward Hank. Her phone buzzed in her pocket, she pulled it up to her ear, "Hey, Winn-"

"I hate doing your work."

Katie laughed lightly, "Yeah, I know."

"No seriously. How come your work is a lot harder than mine? I mean what is all of this?"

"Miss Grant gives me all that work, why not ask her?"

"Yeah, no, I'm good. Also, the new mini-cat, she's been looking at your desk each time she passes it."

Katie pressed her brow together, not particularly understanding why this was important, "Okay? We share a desk you know, maybe she's checking you out."

"No." Winn's voice cracks on the other end, "I'm pretty sure she knows that Cat Grant's daughter is dating me."

Katie snorted, "Did Leah make that clear?"

"Yeah." His voice rose, "Very clear."

"Better be clear."

Katie laughed at the sound of Leah's voice in the background, grumbling an annoyed addition to Winn's declaration, "I'll come back to work tomorrow. How does that sound?"

"Absolutely phenomenal." Winn's content sigh came out as static, but Katie still knew what it was, "So can I stop doing your work for the day?"

"Sure, I'll email Miss Grant that I'll do an extra load tomorrow. I'm sure she'll be fine with it."

"I'll make sure my mom is okay with it."

"Thanks, Leah..." Katie paused, "Winn, can you put Leah on the line?"

"Alright."

Katie listened as the phone moved, "Are you... as mad as Kara is with Hank?"

Leah sighed loudly on the other end, "I'm not mad. I'm grieving, yes, but what if Astra killed Alex or Hank? How would Kara feel? She'd resent Astra and grieve over Alex and Hank. In either situation, something bad would have happened. I can't blame Hank for protecting himself and Alex, I don't have the right. I wasn't there, I didn't see what happened. But... for the most part, I miss her more than being mad at Hank."