Chapter 21

Katie smiled, standing next to Alex as Leah and Kara were being taught the correct technique to fly by J'onn, but he was still fine with them calling him Hank. She was in her suit, mainly because Alex wanted her to train. "Come on, Katie."

Katie rubbed her arms, fidgeting with her bracelet, "I'm not so sure."

"The best way for you to control it is to practice." Alex sighs, walking over to Katie, "Now give me the bracelet." Katie reluctantly pulls the bracelet off of her arm and places it in Alex's hand, "See look, you're not lighting anything on fire."

Katie looked up at the sun, feeling the radiation absorbing in her instead of the bracelet, flames engulfed her hands, "Okay, now what?"

"Well, this was J'onn's idea, but he believes if you can learn to fly, you'll be able to control it better."

"Fly?" Katie pointed up, shooting a flame in the air when she did, and flinched, "Like Kara and Leah?"

"Well, yes and no." Alex tries to explain, looking down at the flames in her hands, "If you can create enough heat, just like a hot air balloon, you should be able to fly."

"So I just-" Katie pointed her arms straight down, "Push the flames from below me until I'm up in the air?"

"Basically, yeah."

Katie pursed her lips, not particularly sure what she was supposed to do, "Uh..." She forced flames to come out of her hands at a quick rate, making her quickly fly in the air, but she freaked out, extinguishing them, and immediately falling to the ground on her butt.

Alex laughed down at her, "Well, you can fly."

Katie stuck her legs out from the ground, looking over at Alex, "I can light you on fire, you know that right?"

"Yeah, but you won't."

Katie stands up from her spot, refusing to accept Alex's help, afraid she might accidentally burn her. She sighed, trying to concentrate on the flames, she shot out into the air. Instead of freaking out this time, she laughed when she saw how high off the ground she was. She was thankful that she didn't really have a fear of heights, a fear of falling maybe, but not a fear of heights. She twirled in the air, Leah flew over beside her.

"Look who's getting the hang of flying."

Katie smiled at her, there were flames coming out below her feet as she flew, "I didn't know how fun this could be."

Leah twirled in the air, "Right?"

J'onn flew over to them, Kara closely behind, "This isn't about fun. This is my one chance to train you in proper flight technique."

Leah nodded for Katie to follow her, out of the three girls, Katie seemed to be paying more attention to J'onn than the rest of them. She really wanted to make sure she knew what she was doing when she flew through the air. Katie stumbled in her landing, but other than that she was fine.

"You could feel like that all the time, you know. Free. Untethered. True to who you really are."

"The world needs Hank Henshaw more than it needs J'onn J'onzz."

Alex walked over to them, holding a tablet up to them, "Okay, I've pinpointed the location of Room 52 at Lord Technologies, assuming we can trust James Olsen's intel."

Hank put his hands on his hips, "Superman trusts him. That's good enough for me."

"Captain Marvel and Supergirl trusts him and that's more than good enough." Alex smiles over at her sister and Leah.

Kara crossed her arms over chest, "If you're infiltrating Lord Tech, I'm in. Max beat James to a pulp for finding Room 52. What could he be hiding in there?"