Chapter 29

Katie, again, woke with a gasp. Her head shot down to see cuffs on her wrists, rendering her movement.

"The High Council has rendered our verdict on the alien spy. We impose the maximum penalty. Banishment to the Phantom Zone."

"Leah-" Guards grabbed Katie as she struggled to get to Leah, "-If they take me away, you and I will be trapped here until the Black Mercy kills us."

Non turned to his daughter, "Do not listen to her. Once she is gone, we'll be happy. Like we were before she came here."

"Why do you think they're trying to silence me? It's because they're afraid of what I have to say!" Katie screams out, struggling as the guards tried to pull her away.

"She's trying to confuse you with lies."

"No! I'm trying to remind you of the truth." Katie released a cry as they tried to drag her away, "Life isn't perfect. I know it can be hard and it can be lonely. Especially for you. You have sacrificed and you have lost so much. I wish you could've had a life with your family. But even if you did, Leah, it wouldn't be this. Because this isn't real. And deep down, Leah. Deep down, you know it." There was rumbling, making them wobble as they stood, "I can't promise you a life without pain and loss because pain is a part of life. It's what makes us who we are. It is what makes you a hero." Katie was able to get out of their grip, she turned, slamming her fists down on one of the guards' shoulder, then took down the other guard. Katie walked closer to Leah, "You fight every day to keep people from struggling like you have. I know you can remember, please... If you try, please... Please try, Leah. Because Earth needs Captain Marvel."

"Captain Marvel." Ka tried to walk forward, but Non and Kal stopped her.

"Yes, remember that life. With James and Winn and Hank. Your friends need you. Especially, Winn, he loves you, Leah, please don't leave him alone. Please don't let him suffer through another loss." Katie began to sob, thinking of her brother, "Leah, I can't choose this for you. You have to choose it yourself." The guards kicked the back of Katie's leg, making her drop down, "Please come back to us, Leah. Please."

Ka looked around at her family, her face releasing a mixture of expressions. Leah turned her gaze up to her father, "I wish... I want so much for all of this to be true. To stay here with you. But this isn't real."

Leah tried to move forward but her mother jumped in front of her, "No, no."

"You taught me to be so strong. And I am. Thank you. Krypton will be in my heart forever. But Katie is right... My friend is right. I have to go." The ground shook below them, her eyes stayed on her mother, "I love you."

"Oh, Ka-El." Astra's arms wrapped around Leah in a hug, "We will never let you leave." The floor shook again, allowing Leah to go free from her mother's hold, "Katie!"

"I got you!" Katie called out, reaching for her, "I got you!"

Katie gasped, pulling the helmet off of her as fast as she could. Her eyes fell on Alex, who did the same. "Alex, Katie, thank God."

Alex jumped off the bed, looking at Kara and Leah, "You pulled me out?" Her head whipped over to James and Hank, "How could you? I told you to stop him!"

"I did."

Alex jumped at James, "She was about to choose us! She was about to come home!"

"Alex..." Katie spoke up, her eyes not moving from Kara and Leah.

"Why did you pull me out!?"

"ALEX!"

"Why!?"