Chapter 37

Harry's POV:

"Aggghh!" We screamed, I took Delia and had her go down first, then Hermione, I jumped down and Ron came a little while later.

I landed with a thump on something slimy, "Whoa," Ron said, "Lucky this plant thing is here, really."

I looked over and saw Delia sitting calmly with the plant wrapping itself around her, it started wrapping around us and it looked as if it was choking Delia.

Delia was barely even noticeable except for her head and suddenly she was being dragged down, "Delia!!!" Me and Ron yelled. I struggled to get out. "Calm down I'm fine," she said. "You need to calm down both of you, this is Devil's Snare you need to relax or it will kill you faster," Hermione said.

"Kill us faster," Ron said, "Oh now I can relax." I looked over and saw Hermione being sucked down like Delia, "Hermione!!" Me and Ron yelled. "Will you two calm down," I heard Delia say. "Now what do we do?" Ron asked struggling.

"Do what I say and try to relax, trust me," Hermione said. I held my breath and felt myself getting sucked down, "Harry!!" Ron yelled from above us. "Delia," I said once I stood and went and hugged her. "I'm fine Harry," she said smiling.

"Help!" Ron yelled. "He's not relaxing," Hermione said. "Apparently not," I said looking up. "Stop moving Ron it's Devil's Snare," Delia yelled to him. "Glad to know the name," Ron said leaning back so he didn't get choked.

"Ron- shut up I'm trying to think- Devil's Snare, Devil's Snare what did Professor Sprout say? - It likes the dark and the damp...." she said. "Light a fire," I suggested. "Yes- of- course, but there's no wood," Hermione said.

"HAVE YOU GONE MAD," Ron said, "ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT!!!!!" Hermione made this face, "Oh right," and took out her wand, a shot of light came out the end, and Ron came down with a thud.

"Ron are you okay?" I asked helping him up. "Yea," he said. "Ok," I said. "Shew lucky we didn't panic," Ron said looking up at the plant. I looked at him, "Lucky Hermione and Delia pay attention in Herbology," I said.

I looked over and saw Delia at this door, "What's that noise?" Hermione asked. "It sounds like wings," I said going over and opening the door. "Curious I've never seen birds like these," Hermione said. I looked closer, "Their not birds, their keys, and I bet one of them fits that door," I said pointing.

Ron walked over and tried opening it, "It won't open," he said. Hermione went over, "Alohorma,"  but it still wouldn't open. "What's this all about?" Hermione asked. "I don't know," I said hovering my hand over the broom.

"Ugh what are we going to do?" Hermione said impatiently, "there must be a thousand keys in here."

"Probably an old fashioned one, rusty with a handle," Ron said. "There I see it," I said pointing, "the one with the broken wing," I said then looked down at the broom. "What's wrong Harry?" Delia asked.

"It's too simple," I said. "Oh go on Harry, if Snape can catch one on that old broomstick, you can," Ron said, "you're the youngest seeker in a century." I looked down at the broom, then up at him and nodded.

When I put my hand on the broom, the keys started attacking me, I tried shooing them away when I heard Ron say, "This complicats things a bit."

I kicked off the ground and followed the broken winged key, with the other ones following me, "Catch the key," I said throwing it down and saw Hermione jump up and get it, I flew up and waited for the door to open and when it did I shot in hearing the other keys slamming into the door.

I deposited the broom and walked on. "What is this place?" Delia said. "I don't like this, I don't like this at all," Hermione said. "Where are we?" I asked, "It looks like a graveyard."

"This is not a graveyard," Ron said walking ahead. "Is- Is this a chess board?" Delia asked.

"Yes it's a chess board," Ron said while lights came on showering over the board. "There's the door," I said walking onto the board and to it, but some chess pieces blocked our way. We backed up and I turned to Ron.

"Now what do we do?" Hermione asked. "It's obvious isn't it, we have to play our way across the room," Ron said, "Harry you take the empty bishop square, Hermione your the Queen's side castle, Delia you go and get in between them and I will be a Knight."

I walked over and looked at them all, "What happens now?" Hermione asked. "Well white moves first and then we play," Ron said.

One of the pieces that blocked our way moved forward, "Ron you don't think this will be like real wizarding chess?" Hermione asked. "You there E5," Ron said pointing to a piece.

I watched it move and when it was close to that one it took it's a sword and smashed into it. "Yes Hermione I think this will be exactly like Wizards Chess," Ron said.

Piece after piece was getting smashed, one had already hit Delia and knocked her out. "Castle to E4," Ron yelled. "Pawn to C3." I looked around at everything, Delia's not moving body, piece after piece of broken Chess pieces.

The Queen moved and it was now only her and Ron, "Wait a minute," I said. "You understand Harry that when I make my move, the Queen will take me," Ron said, "then your free to check the King." "No, Ron, No," I yelled.

"What is it?" Hermione asked. "He's going to sacrifice himself," I said. "No, you can't there must be another way," Hermione said. "Do you wanna stop Snape from getting that Stone or not?" Ron asked her, "Harry it's you that has to go on, not me, not Hermione, not Delia, but you."

I nodded my head, "Knight to H3," Ron said and the piece started moving. He looked at the Queen, "Check," Ron said. The Queen moved until it was right at Ron then stabbed the sword into the horse, knocking Ron off. "Ron!!" I yelled, but he was passed out just like Delia.

Hermione tried moving, "No stop, the games not over," I told her. I walked over and faced the King, "Check Mate," I said and he dropped his sword. I waited for a moment then ran to Ron and Delia.

"Take care of Ron and Delia," I told Hermione, "then go to the owlery and send a message to Dumbledore, Ron's right I have to go on." "You'll be ok Harry, your a great wizard, you know," She said.

"Not as good as you," I said. She smiled at me, "me, books and cleverness, there are more important things like bravery and friendship, oh Harry be careful," she said. I nodded my head and walked on.