Release

*time skip like a week I think idfk*

I wake up to my phone ringing. I look at the time. 5:27. UGHHHH I HATE PEOPLE SOMETIMES! then I look at the caller ID. That's...weird why is Hailey mom calling me.
"Hello?" I say groggy, wiping my eyes then propping myself up on my elbows.
"Hi, Faith. How are you holding up." she says, and for the first time I can hear sincerity
"Decent I guess. Not the best though, can't be any worse than what your feeling. I so sorry Mrs. Wiser."
"Its okay," she sighs, "its not your fault. If anything its ours"
I don't exactly know how to respond to that. So I just wait until she talks more.
"We were wondering," she starts, "if maybe you would speak at the funeral?"
I'm stunned abut by the question. "Uh-I mean-um- sure I guess." I say stuttering.
"Great. Tell your dads I say hello and I'll see you soon." She says and hangs up right after. Jesus what time is it there! I check and it's about 1:30 am. Ugh.
Just then I get a knock on my door
"UGHH!" I groan and put a pillow over my face. What do the people have against me sleeping?!
"Well good morning to you too." I hear a muffled Dad say. I sit up and tsk the pillow off my head.
"I would hardly call 5:30 morning. But what's up?" I ask.
"Papa had to run out for a bit. We think Martyns broke his foot so Papa went to check on him. He had to leave early because he wants to get there on time and hangout for a bit. But who was on the phone?"
"It was Mrs. Wiser. She wanted me to speak at the funeral. I guess nobody else would because she never liked me." I laugh at the end. She really never did. Thought I was the reason Hailey was just about as straight as a circle.
"Oh. Well you have two weeks I suppose. I think you can do it. If you want to that is." I says.
"Yeah I guess." I shrug, "well there is no way in getting back to sleep so what do you wanna do?"
"YURI ON ICE MARATHON!" He yells.
I groan but laugh. "This is one of the people I have chose to raise me."
"YOU LOVE US GREMLIN!" he yells and starts to tickle me. Oh good lord help me.

*LE TIMESKIP*

It was the day before the funeral now. I was packing everything into the small suitcase I had. While going through my stuff I stumble across something I hadn't seen in so long. Its the dress I wore to my moms funeral. Memories come flooding back. To her death. To the funeral. To the sleepless night as a toddler. Now here I am getting ready for another funeral. There is a picture of her with it along with a necklace. I thought this was lost. I turn it over and there is a picture of her. I look further into the box. I find a friendship bracelet. It has a picture of me and Hailey when we were younger. I remember this day so well. I had helped out Hailey with passing 3rd grade and she was so happy she asked me to marry her. I said "Little Hailey we are too young. Ask me again when we are 18 and ill say yes for sure". Except she didn't make it that far. I choke back sobs. I need to finish packing. I take the dress from the box and I put it in my bag along with my clothes for the funeral itself, and the flight home. And the speech for the funeral. Im all set. I throw on my shoes, and jacket, grab my phone, a blanket, and a pillow so I can sleep on the flight. Oh, and don't forget the earbuds. I walk out of my room composing myself as much as I can and see Dad and Pop waiting for my by the door. "Uber's here." Papa says.
"Alright. Let's get this over with then." I say

*ANOTHA LE TIMESKEP*

When we get to the hotel I immediately just flop down on the bed. "G'NIGHT!" I yell muffled from being face first in a bed.
"Funerals in a couple hours gremlin." Dan says, "Nap while ya can."

Hello

How are you

I'm just kidding.

Here ya go

At the funeral got their a bit early. I said hi to Hailey's mom when I came in and she spent a short amount of time talking to Dad and Pop, and I walked off when they were talking. I walked over to the front. When I saw the giant picture of her that they chose my heart dropped... they used a picture of me and her.. {picture referenced at the bottom} but nothing could have prepared me for looking into that damn casket. She looked so pale. Even with her complexion you could always see her roses cheeks. Now it was just white. She had on a black dress with her hair straightened and she had on black high tops. She always said she didn't want heals in the after life.
It almost didn't seem real. Like at any moment she would just pop up and say "I gotcha brown eyes!" But I knew it wouldn't happen. I had the friendship bracelets in my pocket. I took one and then took her hand. It was so cold. Almost like ice. I put the bracket around her wrist and mine around my wrist. I smiled.

We went to take our seats in the back. I didn't pay much attention. The priest just said a bunch of stuff that annoyed me because Hailey was an atheist. At one point I had to hold in laughter. Then I zoned out again until Papa tapped me on the shoulder. I looked up and everyone was looking at me. Then Hailey's mom (who at some point made it to the front I guess) said "would you like to say a few words Faith?" As in it was time for my speech. I pulled the paper from my pocket and walked up to the front. I looked down and the paper and then back at Hailey. Then I crumpled the paper. I looked out at all the faces. Then I started

"We talk about the deceased as if they no longer are a thing. We say was instead of is. We talk about them as if they are a faint memory. Hailey is my best friend. She always will be. No matter who I meet or what happens in my life, I will always stand by this statement. She's crazy and insane and beautiful and hurt and has the biggest heart ever. There will never be another Hailey. When I first met her I remember her being so outgoing. I was quite and never even talked. Hailey broke me out of my shell. I always say that a soul mate doesn't necessarily need to be a romantic thing. And Hailey is and always will be my soulmate. Because she is amazing. I just hope I remember to tell the story of the remarkable Hailey Wiser and Faith Howell-Lester to my kids. Because that would be one hell of a story."
The room goes silent for a moment. I though I fucked up. But then everyone started clapping. I turned to Hailey. I whispered an inaudible 'i love you' and in that moment I swear I could feel her hugging me and my heart shattered. Chocking back sobs I say "And here is the one song Hailey always wanted me to play at her funeral" I say and I start the song and go and run out side.

When I get outside I fall to my knees and start to sob. I sob harder than I ever have before. Because now I know she's really gone and I'm never getting her back. Dad and Pop open the door and try to comfort me. "that's it then. she's really gone..." I say. They sit and hug me for a couple minutes and by the time we get back in the song is over.

"Yes the hardest part of this is leaving you...."

Truer words have never been spoken.

"Lips are chapped and faded, faded."

^^picture of Faith and Hailey

IM SORRY THIS TOOK SO DAMN LONG AHHH