Episode 23: Tris Prior vs Katniss Everdeen

Divergent vs. The Hunger Games! When two of fiction's most iconic dystopian heroines clash, who will be the one still standing?

****

Wiz: Dystopian fiction. This genre has spawned worlds that are dark yet colorful at the same time, and has given us a selection of equally colorful characters. And today, two of dystopian fiction's most iconic heroines will face off today.

Boomstick: Tris Prior, the Divergent...

Wiz: And Katniss Everdeen, the Mockingjay.

Boomstick: He's Wiz and I'm Boomstick!

Wiz: And it's our job to analyze their weapons, armor and skills to find out who would win a Death Battle.

****

TRIS PRIOR

Wiz: In a dark alternate future in the city of Chicago, there exist five factions: the brave Dauntless, the selfess Abnegation, the intelligent Erudite, the honest Candor, and the peaceful Amity. This system of government was to divide the people based on their aptitudes and personalities...

Boomstick: Buuut it turns out people in factions have really f*cked up genetic codes.

Wiz: The people who possess qualities from every faction are known as Divergents, who are...slightly different from people who are grouped in factions. And that group-the Divergent group-is where our heroine falls under.

Boomstick: Yeah, you see, Tris is supposed to be special. Yeah, she kinda is. She's special 'cause she's the one with the normal genetic code. Ugh, this paradox sh*t's giving me a migraine...

Wiz: Beatrice Prior was born in the faction Abnegation, where she was taught by her family to follow the faction's code and be selfless. She abided, but due to her Divergent blood, she began to consider her own wants.

Boomstick: When she turned sixteen, Beatrice was made to choose between a knife and a piece of cheese. Because she apparently didn't want to stab people or eat stale cheese, she refused, and the computer went bonkers, sorta, and decided she belonged to three factions.

Wiz: This was when she was informed of her Divergent blood. Divergents, you see, are people that possess more than one distinctive trait of a faction, and Beatrice just happens to be one of them.

Boomstick: Potentially belonging to three factions, Beatrice decided to enter Dauntless. You know, the cool faction that plays games, gets tattoos, and does gratuitous parkour! Because if that doesn't sound badass in dystopian fiction standards, I don't know what does. Then she decided she was leaving her old life, and then changed her name to...Tris.

Wiz: And it turns out that Tris was already more than qualified to become a Dauntless...if she wasn't already qualified in the other factions due to her Divergent blood. She is physically stronger than the average human, being able to break the glass tank she was encased in.

Boomstick: Oh, come on! That ain't impressive enough. I mean anyone can-

Wiz: Might I mention that that glass tank Tris was trapped in was filled with water?

Boomstick: ...whoa. She also possesses aim, stamina, and endurance above that of an average human. I mean, she was able to hold her own against some of the Dauntless' top guns for a while!

Wiz: And thanks to her training in Dauntless, Tris is a force to be reckoned with in close-quarters combat.

Boomstick: She's also got some anime-level willpower, like that time she was under a death serum and she refused to give up 'cause, well...willpower.