Chapter 6

An hour later, Don and Meryl pulled up to his parents house. It reminded Meryl somewhat of her parent's house in Connecticut. It was a large house just outside of Indianapolis in the country. They turned down the large country road towards the house and saw they had horses and a pond. Everything was covered in snow. It was like something out of a movie. She reached for Don's hand as he pulled to a stop on the circle drive in front of the house. She pulled his hand up to her lips. She could feel the tension radiating off him. "I love you." She said.

"I love you, too, baby." He said leaning over to give her a kiss. "Let's go." He said taking a breath.

Meryl couldn't get over it. She had never seen her husband like this. He was like a scared and unsure little boy. She had seen him nervous and scared before when he met her parents, but this was different. This was the man who wanted to go beat up Dustin Hoffman to defend her honor. She had never seen him quite like this, and it broke her heart. She was internally cursing her father-in-law and hoped she could keep her mouth shut as not to cause more problems. Meryl followed him around to the trunk. "Oh, no you don't." Meryl said as he tried to take the suitcases out.

"What?" He asked.

"You have to be really careful because of your ribs for six months the doctor said. And we haven't exactly been careful in the sex department." She winked making him laugh.

"Baby, that is one place you should NOT be careful." Don laughed.

"Except for birth control." She pointed out making him laugh as he agreed. "Anyways, you still have to be careful, you are still healing." 

"Hun, I carried a Christmas tree home." He pointed out.

"Yes, and you reinjured yourself, if you recall." She said.

He certainly did, his wife was NOT happy with him. "Fine, let me carry something." He said feeling worthless.

"Take the backpack." She said as she laughed. He always carried the backpack, it wasn't heavy.

"Okay, here we go." He said as they walked up the steps and into the house. "Mom, were here." Don yelled as his father came in.

"She's at the store." James said plainly. "Nice to see you both." He said.

"Hi, Dad." Don said trying to be positive and happy.

"You too, James. You have a beautiful home." Meryl smiled.

"Well, it's not New England but we like it." James said already pissing Don off because of the stab he took at Meryl's upbringing.

"Well, it's wonderful." Meryl was really trying.

"Don, what is wrong with you? You make your wife carry the luggage? Sometimes I don't know what goes on in that thick head of yours." James shook his head.

Meryl was steamed, she couldn't believe Don just stood there and took it. She looked in his eyes and he looked like a little boy who was being punished but afraid to say anything for fear he would get into more trouble. "Well, Don can't carry anything heavy because of his ribs. Don and I are equal partners and share all types of duties. Isn't that right, babe?" She asked.

"Absolutely." He smiled through gritted teeth. "Well, we are going to take these things upstairs and unpack." Don told his father.

"Fine. I'll be in my study." James said walking off as Don just shook his head. He was always holding up in his study.

"Come on." He smiled leading the way.

***

Don opened his bedroom door and they walked in as Meryl smiled to herself. It appeared that his mother hadn't changed his room much. There were his football trophies, some of his paintings, and a picture of him and Meryl.